Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We recently had some work done inside our house because of ice dam damage last winter.  We needed to have ceiling repair done and then 3 rooms repainted.  The company we used did an okay job.  Their first attempt at fixing the ceiling was not what had been agreed upon and they redid it right away no problem.  The paint job was good.  They did drip in a few spots, got semi-gloss instead of satin,  and left tape around 2 ceiling fixtures but did a really nice job painting around a lot of natural woodwork and cleaning up the work of crappy previous paint jobs by previous owners.   <br><br>
The biggest problem occurred when they moved our piano.  I don't know why, but they didn't just move it away from the wall, they instead moved it 12 feet across the room and put a long gouge in our old (but recently buffed) oak floors.   To their credit, when we pointed out the damage ( and refused to pay a portion of the bill) the company sent out two crews to assess the damage and bid on the job.  Both agreed, because of the location and length of the scratch they would need to completely redo the floors in 3 rooms.  They'd need to move all our furniture out for 3-5 days while they sanded and recoated the floors.  At first they wanted to move everything, including an antique dining room set and the piano, to our large but unenclosed front porch.  When I put the kibosh on that idea I didn't hear from anyone for 10 days.  My husband sent a follow up email and heard nothing.  I sent another and the manager wrote back saying they'd put everything in a POD and asked if they could start next week (3 days from now). <br><br>
So, do we let them move everything to a POD for a week while dh is out of town?  My dh is nervous that something irreplaceable will get damaged.  I'm nervous as well and not relishing the idea of keeping dd and 2 dogs out of the main area of the house for a week but want the floors fixed.  What would you do?</p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>Cut your losses and hire someone new.Never continue work with someone who has already performed poorly unless you are prepared to accept more poor results from them. You can bet there will be more *issues*.Yes,they redid things,but with professionals there should be no need for this in the first place.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did I read right in that you are paying to have the floors redone after the piano damage,or are they paying because they were the ones who damaged the floor? If you have to pay anything I would definitely not use them.Don't people like this have some type of bonding/insurance for you to file with when the contractor causes damage? I would use that(their insurance) if they did not pay.And I would probably hire someone on my own after getting the money from them.I would not hire one of their buddies to do the floor.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In the least I would get estimates and get the contractor to pay for the floor repair.Once I have the cashed check,and sent the contractor away, I would take my time in hiring someone new.He might pay to avoid a claim with his insurance.No way would I want them in my home while dh was gone.Remember YOU had to point out the floor damage last time.Don't tell me the workers did not see that damage and hope you would not notice.If they damage anything this time they will cover it up and hope you do not notice it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know you want it done,but get it done with someone you feel better about and have dh home.If anything goes wrong(and it might not) do you want to play phone tag with these people again?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck whatever you decide!</p>

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks for the reply mattemma04.  The company would be paying for everything-POD rental, piano mover, furniture movers, and the floor refinishing.  The subcontractors who did the original work (and damage) would not be involved.  But you're right, the company has not proven to be professional, especially dropping off the face of the earth for 10 days.  Ugh, I hate dealing with this.</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts