Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use acrylic sweaters to make recycled longies and shorties? I have used wool and although I like them, I keep grabbing for my fleece instead because it's so much easier to upkeep. Sooo, has anyone used acrylic to make butt sweaters? Do you wash and dry them like fleece? Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Using acrylic for babies/ children is not something I recommend to any of my knitting students for a couple of reasons:<br>
1. As a soaker, acrylic does not absorb the way natural fibers do<br>
2. Acrylic yarn is a petroleum based product. When exposed to heat, it melts into sticky, black goo that sticks to hair, skin and bodies. Please don't put acrylic yarn articles on your babies.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not planning on knitting them but using already made thrift store acrylic sweaters. Acrylic and/or acrylic blends. Anyone have any experience?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I used a wool/acrylic blend sweater-turned-diaper cover and loved it. It was so much easier to take care of as I could just throw it in the washer/dryer. I don't think I have used 100% acrylic, but I read it will be water proof because it is basically plastic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
nope, 100% acrylic sweater dont work well as covers, major leak unless its a wool blend. and they dont felt either so no point in making covers. i hv a couple of 50/50 wool/acrylic soakers made from sweaters from thrift store, they do hold up well but i do treat them like actual wool, aka hand wash and lanolizing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts