Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the rest of the summer I will be watching a set of 10 year old twin girls, along with another family of kids 10yo girl, 7 yo old, and 4 yo boy. They live out in the country and have a huge fenced in back yard. The problem is, one mom doesnt want her kids watching TV all day long, and the other mom says that if her kids want to watch tv that they can watch it. Her words "if my kids want to rot their brain, then they can." I know, a pretty rotten attitude, but so be it. She even called me and told me that her kids arent going to be subjected to anothers moms rules. At any rate, we will be at the house of the kids who mom doesnt want them to watch TV. So any ideas of what I can do with them so that they wont want to watch tv all day long? I cant exactly go anywhere with them because we dont have a vehicle for all of us, and we cant walk anywhere because its out in the country. I can use all of the help that I can get!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Well, it can be challenging to "entertain" kids who are used to watching a lot of TV. Depends on the kid though--- it might work out just fine.

I would have some structured stuff to do like doing some beading, play-doh, puzzles (different levels of difficulty). The 10 yr old girls may like things like doing make overs (I don't know how girly they are), lip syncing(sp?) and dancing to music, making up dance routines. My dd is very girly so I'm just suggesting the stuff she likes to do.
The 10 yr old girls can paint the faces of the younger kids -- that usually goes over well.
You can soak up a lot of time by doing each others hair and dressing each other up.

You can play board games. You can read books and the kids can act it out while you read it. They can paint, color, draw. Play Simon Says, Red Light Green Light, Hide and Seek. A lot of this stuff they could all do together regardless of age.
They could do some baking---cookies, rice crispie bars, brownies, etc.

You could play the "would you rather game" (ie: would you rather eat worms or spiders)
You can play "I Spy".

If they are TV addicts this could be a problem, but they will just have to slump around for a while until they get used to it...or the TV watchers can stay in a room watching TV while you play games and bake with the other kids.
It is true that the ones who are used to a lot of TV have to be entertained more than the kids who are used to finding stuff to do for themselves.

Good Luck

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Maybe you can get audio tapes from the library to help fill the tv niche. It's fun to listen to stories while doing crafts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts