Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a certain age that a dx can be made, or rather is there a "too young" for dx age? Shouldn't a child need to exhibit symptoms for a certain amount of time? It's hard to tell if DS is just immature and having some "behaviors socially" at school or if he is exhibiting diagnosable ADHD symptoms. We are consulting with a professional but I'm so confused!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
six months or more and the behavior should be developmentally inappropriate for the age.

eta (i realized my wording could be read incorrectly): the *behaviors have to be exhibited for six months or more

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
When I was given *my* ADHD diagnosis, I asked them how old my son (now 3) needed to be before they would consider testing him. He's young, but I'm fairly certain he will follow in my footsteps. They said 5 at the earliest but they were more comfortable with 7 or 8. I know there are people who will diagnose younger but it is pretty controversial.

Martha

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Part of an ADD/ADHD dx is that the behavior was evident before age 7. But I think they hesitate to dx before school, because another part of the dx is that the behavior causes problems in at least two situations, i.e. home and school, whatever. Also, many of the "problem behaviors" can also be just a rambunctious little boy, and as a child grows may settle down a bit.

I haven't sought a dx for my DD yet, at 6, but I'm sure she has it.

Good luck, mama.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
We knew something was up at three and started dietary intervention. At 5 the doc he'd been seeing made the official dx stating that he was severely affected. He was a bit young for a dx but it was quite obvious in his case.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'm wondering the same about my oldest DD. Though, some of the behaviors that have concerned me in the past have subsided, new ones tend to emerge. I'm pretty sure her dad is ADD, though he's never been dx'd.

Anyone have a good online source for info about ADD/ADHD?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.