Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to put this so if it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it to the proper place or let me know so I can do it.

What are some natural things I can do other than medicate for ADD or Bipolar? Where are some places I can start looking at. Most of the places I've been looking online are leading me to Asberger's Syndrom and/or Autism. Are they along the same lines in natural treatments? I normally am really good at finding information that is non-biased, but in this case for the Bipolar for kids, I'm not finding very much. And since I'm also diagnosed with this same thing, I know it's genetic. Plus with Daddy being in the military and our son being such a "soulful" and sensitive type personality, I know that Daddy just being out for 6 month deployment (just got back) could be just the situational thing to trigger the Bipolar. He's always had the ADD tendicies. I am asking for some of your more detailed directions and what you all have found so far. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Has your son actually been diagnosed with ADD and/or bipolar? If not- have you looked into food allergies? I know that sounds weird... but food allergies/intolerances in kids can cause all sorts of crazy symptoms- including behavior problems, trouble sleeping, etc. Check out my blog (link in sig) for more info. A good book to start with would be Is This Your Child? by Doris Rapp- she talks a lot about the food/behavior connection.

ETA: You just might want to do an elimination diet for yourself too, to see if there are any foods aggravating your mental/emotional states. You would be surprised how much food triggers can change your physical and mental being.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
I like Kenneth Bock's book, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics, Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Ch...9548634&sr=8-1

Of the above, my kids only have allergies, but my son has mild sensory issues, and for us the thing that ties it all together is heavy metals. They manifest in different ways in me (allergies, depression/anxiety at various times, like that) vs more obvious food issues in the kids and some sensory things just for my son. I've found a lot helpful in reading about autism treatments even though that's not directly our issue.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Has your son actually been diagnosed with ADD and/or bipolar? If not- have you looked into food allergies? I know that sounds weird... but food allergies/intolerances in kids can cause all sorts of crazy symptoms- including behavior problems, trouble sleeping, etc. Check out my blog (link in sig) for more info. A good book to start with would be Is This Your Child? by Doris Rapp- she talks a lot about the food/behavior connection.

ETA: You just might want to do an elimination diet for yourself too, to see if there are any foods aggravating your mental/emotional states. You would be surprised how much food triggers can change your physical and mental being.
: I was about to post the same thing even the book recommendation

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.