Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got me, my husband, and our 5.5 year old in our bed. On Saturday we added our new daughter (she's 1 week old tonight).

I'd love to hear how you all managed with similar adjustments? So far, it seems okay. But I'm not sure I'm being as safe and careful as I need to be. I'm not at all worried that co-sleeping is unsafe, but, surely there are tricks, tips, and techniques we can use to make the best of this new crowded situation?

Thanks for any input!

--Heather

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My older daughter sleeps on the far side of the bed with my husband in the middle and me and the infant on the other side, so the baby and toddler are not next to each other. The infant goes back and forth between my husband and I to the outside of the bed depending on which side she is eating from. Oh, we have a king size bed.

Lots of moms have recommended this http://www.betterforbabies.com/Tres_...-sleeping.html for separating older and younger children. I haven't found it necessary but it may work for you.

·
Registered
570 Posts
we also have a king size and we go dh (on edge of bed w/o wall) ds 2yrs, me, then baby between me and the wall. i find this works best so no one is falling off the bed, both boys are next to me- in case they need their mommy in the middle of the night- and when nursing i just nurse from the top instead of whiching sides.
i also make sure there aren't any cracks for baby to slip into, i use only one pillow that i keep above my arm (i kinda curl my arm around him) and i use a non fluufy/heavy blanket to about waist height and often use one of those sleepsacks/wearable blankets for baby. and finally i also keep a headlamp set on the dimmer red light near the head of the bed so i can see without having to turn on the lights or use a bright nightlight to do diaper changes and just check in on my boys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.