Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted over on the parenting board about issues with my 7 year old dd ( <a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=799087" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=799087</a> ). She has aways been spirited/quirky etc. I think she suffers from anxiety. Over the past few months her moods and behaviors have gone downhill. She lashes out in anger, has meltdowns, overreacts to the most minor things - always has but by this age I expected that it would be better. She also has problems with her stomach - constipation mainly. I originally posted on the other board because I wasn't sure where to start as far as helping her I didn't want to change everything and not know what the helped KWIM? The overwhelming response was to check her diet.<br><br>
I haven't noticed any major, immediate issues with foods (although sweets can make her crazy - I remember how she reacted to her first chocolate cookie) so I don't think she has formal allergies. She was tested for celiac - negative.<br><br>
If I am going to look into food sensitivites where do I start? How do I keep track. Any first had advice/experiences would be appreciated. We eat a pretty decent diet. I make most things from scratch, we don't eat fast food, I don't buy much in the way of convenience foods - maybe some pretzels or crackers - that is about it. She drinks water or milk - occasionally apple cider or lemonade depending on the season.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Sounds like you guys are making good food choices to start with. Thats great. I would start with a diary that includes <span style="text-decoration:underline;">every</span> thing that goes into her mouth and onto her body. Also note any symptoms you notice on a daily basis. The constipation is likely a major red flag that is causing behavioral changes if not sensitivities. I suggest taking her to a naturopath if you can afford it. I have only been seeing one for 11 days and it had already made a huge change in my mood and my body, and I believe will eventually heal both me and dd (ebf). Since your thinking about additives/dyes/preservatives etc. its worth looking into. Gut instinct often will lead you down the right path. Try eliminating all fragrances, sulfates/sulfites, nitrates/nitrites, dyes for a three week period to see if it makes a difference. My two cents....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts