Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've applied to adopt a rescue dog and will find out in a few days if we've been accepted. We were told yesterday when we met the dog that he has some fleas (his owner couldn't afford preventative for all 4 or 5 of her dogs.) We use Frontline on our dog and have never had a flea problem. What should we do (assuming we adopt this dog) to ensure that we don't develop a flea problem? I think we need to get him groomed (he needs a bath and a haircut anyway) before we bring him home. Do groomers give flea baths? We will use Frontline on our new dog too, but since the other thread mentioned fleas can live off of pets, I don't want a problem to start!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I would ask the groomer if they'll give him a Capstar before you bring him home. That's an excellent way to ensure that you aren't bringing in ANY live fleas. Then Frontline as usual, two or three days after the bath (Frontline doesn't work very well right after a bath). If your groomer doesn't distribute Capstar, you should call around to vets and see if they sell individual pills.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
I would ask the groomer if they'll give him a Capstar before you bring him home. That's an excellent way to ensure that you aren't bringing in ANY live fleas. Then Frontline as usual, two or three days after the bath (Frontline doesn't work very well right after a bath). If your groomer doesn't distribute Capstar, you should call around to vets and see if they sell individual pills.
I am bringing home our adopted home tomorrow and I'm concerned about fleas. He has been being boarded while having a mild case of heartworm treated. I am not sure if he has been on flea preventative. What is Capstar? I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Capstar is an oral flea medication that kills all the fleas on the animal but only lasts 24 hours. It's very safe and has no residue. So it's perfect for when you want to make sure you're bringing a flea-free animal into the house.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Thanks Joanna. So if I called the vet where he is boarding in the morning and asked them to give it to him would he be ok to bring home in the afternoon? Then would I treat him with Frontline?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Does Capstar require a prescription from a vet? How long does it take Frontline to work? If I can't find the Capstar, could I buy some Frontline and give it to the current owner before I bring him home this week?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Capstar is nonprescription. You can actually buy it yourself, but it should be cheaper from a vet or groomer (since you only need one dose, and the packs start at six doses). It starts working within 30 minutes and kills all fleas within four hours, and it's very safe. The only reason it's not used by every human being on earth is that it only lasts 24 hours--it's a quick knock-down, but if you wanted to use it to control fleas on animals that had any contact with the outside you'd need to give one every day. So it's really best suited to the times when you just want to make sure that every single flea on the cat or dog is gone.

Frontline takes 24-ish hours to work, and doesn't work very well at all if the animal is freshly washed. Frontline says it works after a bath, but I have found that to be untrue at least when it comes to ticks. I'll have total success against ticks until the dogs get bathed, and then I'll find multiple ticks on them every day. I personally think Frontline is awesome, but it does have its limitations.

If you can't get Capstar, I would give Frontline to the owner and ask him or her to apply it at least 24 hours before the groomer is going to receive the dog. The groomer will (or should) give a thorough bath and brush-out and so on, which will get rid of any dead fleas. Once he gets home, wait three days or so and then check for any live fleas. If you find even one, re-Frontline him.

It sounds like he's a coated breed, if he needs grooming and a cut. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to comb him OFTEN--even a dog with a short "smoothie" cut will mat behind his elbows and so on. Frequent combing keeps his skin clean and will let you know instantly if he's carrying any hitch-hikers.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for explaining that! One more thing to consider: If I can't get Capstar and we get him some Frontline, he'll still be in a house with 4 other dogs with some fleas. It's apparently not a huge infestation, but still. Does this affect the recommendation?

Yes, he is a coated dog. He is half shih tzu and half mini-schnauzer. His current owner's shih tzu is this dog's mom and the lady's daughter's schnauzer is the dad. This dog was well taken care of until recently when his owner became disabled and couldn't afford to keep it up.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
The Frontline will kill any fleas that hop on him from the other dogs, so he should be protected. You're doing it the right way, having him go from old home to groomer to new home, so he has the best possible chance of arriving flea-free.

I will look forward to pictures! How are you going to have him groomed, like a Schnauzer or a Shih Tzu?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I just posted a thread asking for advice about that! I think he's been getting groomed as a schnauzer, but basically it looks like he has a puppy cut now because it's grown out. Here's a picture of him. And here's another one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.