Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
871 Posts
It sounds like she gets a lot of sweet things but not a whole lot of protein. Could you try giving her something more filling for breakfast, like sausage? What about cheese for snacks? I know you are trying to watch calories, but they aren't everything. Our bodies store and process sugar differently than protein. I can eat fruit all day and not feel full. Give me some meat and/or full fat dairy and I can go until tomorrow without eating. Same for my son. Maybe you can get some whey protein powder and add it to milk or a smoothie or whatever.

· Registered
871 Posts
You could try giving her more protein/fat at each meal...and by that I mean meat. Oatmeal will make many people hungry a couple hours later. Try some sausage or at least adding some whey protein powder to her bottles or yogurt. I make my son pancakes (grainless, made with a banana and egg) with added protein powder, and that holds him over until lunch. Snacks should also be heavy on protein, like cheese sticks or nuts (if she can eat them). In our house, protein always comes first, then the fruits/veggies, then starches. Crackers and muffins are easy snacks, but they aren't filling and are higher in carbohydrates (stimulates the appetite). I would try offering protein in larger quantities until you feel she should be full, then the little extras.

Some ideas for snacks:

cheese sticks
cream cheese rolled up in sliced turkey
jerky
leftover chicken
nuts
homemade bars (butter, honey, nuts, almond flour, whey protein powder, dried fruit)
boiled eggs
smoothie with nut butter and/or protein powder added
full fat greek yogurt
hot dogs

Try not to worry about calories. Protein fills you up faster and usually has better nutrition than crackers or muffins, plus people eat less total when they feel satisfied with lots of protein.

I have lots of experience with this type of eating with my son. He was a bit chubby since he was a baby (chubby until age 6, which is not normal baby fat). Once I emphasized protein, he has thinned out and has more energy...not to mention he is more focused. Speaking of that, do you give fish oil supplements? That may help too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.