Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I got an email today from the health department. Jack's ADOS ha been scheduled for Jan 6. Anyone know what we can expect?</p>

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
<p>It's pretty play based.  I'm not sure if you'll be allowed in the room or not (I've not been in the room when DS received the ADOS because parents can influence the child's behavior without meaning too), but I have seen the ADOS being done as well.  It's very low pressure.  The examiner will have certain toys available (they are specifically chosen for the test) and the examiner will attempt different types of interactions.  He'll score your child on answering to his name, themes of free play, how the toys are used, joint attention, and familiar scenarios like eating. </p>

·
Registered
324 Posts
<p>i was totally in the room the whole time, as my dd would not have been herself if i *wasn't* there.  i thought it was helpful because the speech therapist was also able to watch the interactions between my dd and her primary caregiver...  as the pp said, it was all very relaxed and play based.  she sat at a table and they "chatted," played games, etc.  dd liked the woman administering it, actually, and thought it was fun :).</p>

·
Registered
933 Posts
<p>Our experience reflected similarly to the pp's, I was given a choice of sitting in the room or watching from behind a 2-way mirror.  I stayed in the room but was instructed to not involve myself.</p>

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thanks ladies! :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As far as I know we'll be allowed in the room, because they want to see how DS interacts with us.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts