Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. I have adult acne/acne rosacea. I have a 17mo. dd who is still bf'ing. My acne cleared up fairly well a few months into my pregnancy and stayed clear until a few months ago. Now my face breaks out all the time. My dermatologist said I need antibiotics, tetracyclines which he can't prescribe while I am bf'ing.

I am currently almost vegan- I will eat eggs and fish once in a great while, but no meat or dairy at all. I do eat lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies.I think that it is hormonally related, but I am not sure. I am not on any chemical birth control either.

Any thoughts? I will prob. bf my dd at least until 2, 8 months away with a non clear face....

Thanks,

Margie

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Wash your face with water only

Take Niacin - 50 to 100 mg. This is actually a treatment for acne. It causes a flush of blood to the skin, which can be hot and uncomfortable. But after the first one or two, many people enjoy it and do it for "fun". (like DH) I'd take 50 and see how you feel. If you don't mind the feeling, take it twice a day for a few weeks and see how you feel.

I'd also try making sure you are getting enough of the various Omega fatty acids. GLA (in evening primrose and borage) is very good for the skin - it cured my eczema.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I had a similar problem with not being able to take the oral antibiotics while BF for rosacea and perioral dermatitis. So I tried using diluted tea tree oil on my skin. And it's worked pretty well. I got rid of the eczema around my mouth.

I don't know if it's related but when I lived in Japan, I ate a lot of seaweeds - wakame in my miso soup, hijiki, kombu.... and I broke out in bad acne. BTW I never even had acne as a teenager. I heard some people are sensitive to iodine and that can cause acne and seaweed has a lot of iodine in it. Well I cut back on the seaweed and the acne went away. I tested it again a few times by eating wakame in the soup and it came back within a day or two.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I get acne when I were make-up and wash it off with soap. Or if I use too much soap any time.

Use some good skin cream right on top of the pimples and see how that works for you. It seems to work for me, but that's because my acne comes from dry skin.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I also didn't have acne as a teenager. I am sure that I don't drink enough water, I work with horses and am very active all day and drink about 16-24 oz. water during the day. I try to work on this, but am having trouble...

I also try to eat ground flax every day. I am not a big vitamin/supplement taker. I take one prenatal daily. I am not sure if it has iodine in it, but I have been taking it all along, even when my skin is clear.

I just picked up some tea tree oil cleanser from my co-op. I am going to try that. The reason I think that it may be hormonally related is that about two weeks after my period my face gets much worse for a week and then slowly clears up a bit. I learned all the hormones and when they spiked, but I can't remember them now...

Thanks,
Margie

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have the same thing you do mama...during my pregnancy my skin was so clear
but soon after the birth my breakouts started (again...I had acne from age 12 on...) and I have struggled with it and tried different things like~

drinking enough good quality water I try for 1/2 to 1+ gallons a day

eating organic/whole/mainly vegan diet with no preservatives, refined sugar or bad salt

taking flax seed oil and a superfood supplement everyday

drinking fresh almond milk daily

deep breathing

using a water filter in my shower and for my drinking water

taking herbs to balance hormones (PMS tea is a favorite of mine
)

doing a intestional cleanse

thinking happy thoughts & trying not to stress

trying not to touch my face & changing sheets and pillow cases often

moving my body every day

all of these things have helped me have clearer skin and a better life too
I have narrowed my acne down mainly to hormones too and I always break out during my PMS time and then when thats over I clear right up. THis month my break out was much milder than last and I am sure its due to the intestional cleanse and the herbs...I used the herbdoc.com cleanse and some gaia PMS formula phytocaps along with PMS tea...the gaia caps were expensive and I dont plan on taking them all the time but at the begining they really helped calm me down from PMS and I felt like my hormones were much more balanced....now, I plan to drink tea mainly unless i get bad symtoms then I will go to something stronger.

About the iodine...your body does need it just not in huge quanities and when a certain food makes you break out like oranges for me I believe it is becaue this food causes a cleansing to happen in your body and if the toxins cannot get out fast enough through other channels they will come out your skin...seaweed takes heavy metals out of the body so it is actually a good thing to eat and is a rich source of vitamins and minerals...minerals are also very helpful...Silica is key to healthy skin also so a good mineral supplement is very helpful. I totally recommend a superfood they have vitamins, minerals and herbs

One last thing, I never took much time in caring for my skin until a few months ago and I started buying organic no bad ingredient products like kiss my face and Aubrey...I wash once a day and moisturize a few times and wear only good makeup with no parabens of other bad stuff...i see a big improvment in the quality of my skin and my scars are getting better too...dealing with acne scars has been very hard for me but I am overcoming that, finally!

best wishes mama!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts