Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,
It's been a while since I've posted. My dd is almost 6 now and I am at a new phase of the extractions that dd had at age 2 1/2. (Her two upper front teeth were extracted)
Her first bottom tooth just fell out (naturally) last week. Such an exciting moment for dd! The dentist now says he wants to X-ray to see where the upper adult teeth are at this point and would consider "slitting" her gums to aide the emergence of the adult teeth. He says the gums, having been toothless for 3 1/2 years, can be really tough and this can help the growth.
Anyone with experience here????
Is that really necessary????
Is there an alternative to softening the gums?????
Thanks for any experiences and advice shared!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
No way I'd agree to that without a second third and fourth opinion. Everything I've heard says that is outdated, barbaric and USELESS.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Angela, darling!!

WOW!! Your post count has gone up! I've missed a lot, I see.

And none of my boards has THIS smilie, whom I adore and miss desperately also:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Alegna and Smilemomma!!!!
SMUM, Spacers are not necessary with the front teeth as they are with the back molars. We did have a kiddie partial for reasons of speech and self esteem though. I have a lot of posts about dd's extractions and partial beginning in 2003.

·
Registered
994 Posts
That's interesting, my son had some extractions and they put spacers in (I think incisors). He also had decay on the front two, but the dentist did a wait see...(he was almost four at the time of the work) well, they had been loose for months, and just this week he decided to do a dive jump into his bean bag and missed...and voila, no more front teeth (thank goodness they weren't the permanent ones!)

Yeah, going through that tooth ordeal was intense, I am so glad that is over.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's great to see old faces here. Malamamama and Smilemomma, you have both helped me so much in dealing with my boys' dental woes in the past. Malamamamma, I don't have any advice at all, but I just wanted to commisserate and hope you get some information that I can use too. My oldest ds is 5 1/2 now but had pulpotomies on both his incisors when he was 2. One of them had to be extracted just after he turned 4. The other is still holding. I am eager for the day his permanent teeth start to come in, but nervous too. I am nervous that there is still infection in the remaining incisor that could affect his permanent one.
We never used a spacer. I discussed it with his speech therapist, but Wilder did so well in speech therapy, even with one missing tooth, that his therapist didn't think his progress could be any faster with a partial. He just graduated from speech therapy last week. Yay!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thank you, Saundra. I'm so glad it's all behind you now; that's the really great thing about baby teeth!!

(btw, I doubt that his remaining incisor has enough nerve left in it at this point to pose any problem at all with the permanent tooth under it
)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saundra....it is amazing how this board used to be so much a part of my life and now I am so rarely here. I do check in, but don't feel so connected anymore. Still, it is an incredible resource. Good to "see" you! We definitely realize that we are not alone with toothless dc's!!! Ya know, SMUM dentists all have different perspectives, approaches, and opinions, that's for sure!

So far the info coming to me is just to let it be.....dd agreed.
She has no problem with her toothlessness except that now that she is missing 3 front teeth, it's hard for her to eat corn on the cob!
We just saw a new dental hygenist the other day and I asked her of her experience, what she's seen with extracted teeth and she said that they have always come in "on time", no delays. I understand that sometimes the new teeth have a time of cutting through the bone, but not always. The soft tissue gum is not an issue.
So hang in there! The new teeth coming are definitely exciting!
Ever so grateful to Smile!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by malamamama
it is amazing how this board used to be so much a part of my life and now I am so rarely here. I do check in, but don't feel so connected anymore. Still, it is an incredible resource.
:

And a big
to you, and to all the "oldtimers" still popping in now and again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My ds had two dental surgeries. One at 16 months and another at age 3. He had the bottom 4 capped and not long ago lost one of them and the new tooth grew in right away. I am curious how it will be for his top teeth. He's been toothless since 16 months. He has an appt. next week. I'm curious what our new dentist will say. I've never heard of slitting the gums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
I am new to this board and a sad mommy...my 3 year old had 4 teeth extracted today (1 chipped and 3 decayed). So the dentist said we could do the kiddie partials but he didn't think it was necessary. Doesn't this effect speech though? I just don't want any more trauma (for me or my little guy!), but also want him to be able to chew and not have a speech issue, now or later.
any help/encouragement would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Suzy

·
Registered
994 Posts
Suzy, which teeth were extracted? My son's incisors didn't make a big difference at all with regard to speech.

Smilemomma and malamamma are very helpful and have been here a long time. I'm sure that they can give really good advice. ALso, do you notice a change in his speech?

One thing about baby teeth, they do come out and secondary teeth come in. (Most always, although I for example, still have baby teeth incisors! the secondary teeth are impacted in the gum, but that is rare).

Good luck with it all, it is a trying thing to go through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Should I get my son the kiddie partial..the dentist says my son has to be sedated for this??!! Is that correct? Do they have to get more than one kiddie partial as their jaw grows?

Help!! I am a very sad mommy!

Suzy

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by malamamama
...and would consider "slitting" her gums to aide the emergence of the adult teeth. He says the gums, having been toothless for 3 1/2 years, can be really tough and this can help the growth.
Anyone with experience here????
Is that really necessary????
OK, what about me and my wisdom teeth, which have been under toothless gums for 20 years.....no one has ever mentioned anything like that to me, sounds like a load of crap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts