Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my inventory for my etsy shop and I've started a personal and business blog. I've also done my domain name through go daddy. I'm getting business cards made. I'm telling friends/family. What would be the next logical, cost-conscious thing to do to advertise my business? I figure that while I'm working on the inventory, I could be doing as much as I can to start the new year off on an up note. Thanks for any suggestions. I am considering a business subscription to MDC, but $100 for a year is pretty steep. Anyone doing this and finding that it "paid off"?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'd highly recommend linking your blog to your etsy shop, and then optimizing your blog for the search engine terms related to your products. It's a great way to get free traffic

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I've had really good luck with the MDC advertising in my siggy. I get a ton of business from MDC and I was able to get very favorably indexed by the search engines very quickly. I credit the indexing to the MDC siggy too because the posts on here are well indexed, dated, etc. I initially just tried it for 3 months to see how it went. I made back my money for those three months in the first day and that's when my site was brand new.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Putting your business link in your sig (on various discussion boards) is great...As long as you are an active poster.

Advertise on a blog; facebook; myspace.

Put a flyer or postcard on bulletin boards in your area (cafe's, grocery stores, libraries, health club, etc).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a ? for dogmom- how do you get "favorably indexed"? I guess I'm not sure what that is

Also, very good point about upping my posts. I'm finding it so hard to find the time to work on my stuff to sell & keep up with the blogs. Ahhh, but you all know this first hand

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julie anne View Post
Got a ? for dogmom- how do you get "favorably indexed"? I guess I'm not sure what that is

Also, very good point about upping my posts. I'm finding it so hard to find the time to work on my stuff to sell & keep up with the blogs. Ahhh, but you all know this first hand

Favorable indexing refers to how high in the results your site appears when people search on your key words. The higher you are on the list, the more likely it is someone will click on your site. So in my case, if someone searches dairy kefir grains, I want to be (ideally) in the top three results on Google, Yahoo, etc. For some very general searches (yogurt starter), I'm still a ways down but moving up quickly so that's a good sign. For more specific searches, I come up in the top three or four generally. I also track where my business comes from and right now almost half is coming from search engines
: That's huge for me since we actually do a fair amount of business and we've only been up and running since late August.

Hopefully that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that answers it. thanks! So, I guess I better start doing "tags" on my blog postings. Congratulations on your business success! It's always inspiring to hear about a successful WAHM endeavor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.