Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I noticed lots of mamas in here that have had multiple babies before.  I'm a nervous newly pregnant lady.  I made an appointment with a midwife, but it's not until March 25!  I know the obvious things I should be doing/not doing, like don't drink a bottle of wine, smoke any crack, or try to lose 20 pounds, but I guess I'm paranoid that maybe there are other things I should know about during the time between now and my first appointment.  Is there anything DH and I should know?  Things to do/things to avoid?  Also, any way to stop myself from being paranoid?  That's probably asking a lot, but hey, it can't hurt to ask.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks ladies.  So glad to be here!</p>

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
<p>There's not a huge amount to know, especially this early. I guess the biggest thing is to make sure you're eating well and staying hydrated. Course, thats important for everyone but especially so for pregnant women. Eat plenty of protein and if you're in the habit of skipping breakfast, stop it! :) A high quality prenatal vitamin is great too. Your midwife might have some for sale, or check a health food store for a quality brand</p>

·
Registered
490 Posts
<p>definatly start taking a prenatal vitamin if you haven't yet.  And some advice on the prenantals:  take them at night.  I found that I can stomach them way better at night and I think they are better used that way too.  I like rainbow light one a day.  I get them at the health food store.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also drink tons of water during the day but slow down at night or you will be up all night having to go to the bathroom. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>You can continue your regular excersize but don't start anything heafty and new.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not a pro but those are some things that I can think of off the top of my head.</p>

·
Registered
295 Posts
<p>I agree with others, drink plenty of water, take a good prenatal, and just take good care of yourself in general. If you exercise already, continue to exercise.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In terms of a prenatal, I prefer the whole foods vitamins to synthetics, they are more bioavailable and don't cause the same stomach upset that many synthetics cause. And it can be hard to remember, but vitamins that you take over the course of a day are usually preferred to those that are one a days, just because your body has the ability to take the nutrients better over 16 hours than all in one pill. I've taken New Chapter in the past, this time I am taking MegaFood Baby & Me. I'm also taking MegaFood Blood Builder in hopes that it will help with exhaustion, I have read reviews that taking an iron supplement really helps. Many pregnant women take Floradix, but for a months supply it was pretty pricey in addition to the prenatal, so I opted to try the Blood Builder. I usually shop at vitacost or iherb.com because their prices are better than buying at the local hfs, and shipping is usually pretty quick. If you shop at iherb the shipping is free over $40 and if you use my referral code (it's SOM793) you can get $5 off your first order (plus you will have the ability to pass on a referral code yourself, which helps make those vitamins a little bit cheaper!).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And if you are already paranoid, I suggest not reading What to Expect When You're Expecting. That book made me cRaZy until I saw the midwife for the first time. I really liked Aviva Jill Romm's book The Natural Pregnancy Book, and Ina May's books are always good to read to get excited.</p>

·
Registered
271 Posts
<p>Another thing is to try to limit the amount of high mercury fish or cut it out completely.  You still probably want to make sure you eat fish, but try to follow the recommended guidelines for pregnant women.  I don't have a link right now but I googled it and found an official website for safe fish to eat depending on where you live and it also tells you how much of each type you should eat.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some people follow the no lunch meat rule.  Try to go for nitrate free lunch meat if you eat it and if you are paranoid about listeria (it's a really rare form of food poisoning but happens sometimes) then you can heat it up until it's steaming before you eat it.  Hot dogs, too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Other common things to avoid are unpasteurized cheeses...although some people don't bother following that rule either.  Bring this stuff up to your midwife and ask her opinion.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Definitely don't take the prenatal on an empty stomach!  It will probably make you nauseas.  I make sure I take mine with a meal otherwise I'll feel awful.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
<p>Hello, and welcome to motherhood!  How exciting that first baby is!  The best care you can give yourself right now is to eat healthy, eat enough protein, and drink plenty of fluids.  Be kind and gentle with your body.  There are childbirth educators that often offer an early pregnancy preparatory class; they can be a lot of fun and very informative!  Definitely start taking a prenatal; I've always used an over the counter whole foods based prenatal and been very happy with it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And enjoy your pregnancy!</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts