Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19 month old seems to be showing signs of almost being a grad. Over the last week she has had days with no misses or just one miss. She is able to "hold it" for longer periods of time - I just take her with me to the bathroom whenever she wakes up and whenever I go or whenever it just seems like "time" and she usually goes. She also tells us (with sign language or saying "poo") maybe 10% or 20% of the time when she needs to go.

But here is where I need some advice:

I feel like this is a really critical time for her development, and I want to find the right balance between helping her and letting her take over pottying herself. Should I not ask her if she has to go as often? Ask her more often? Just take her without saying anything? How should I respond when she goes in her pants? Should I just say "You went in your pants", or "Next time you can use the potty" or "Let's clean up" ... or something neutral like that? But, I *do* want to emphasize that pee should go in the potty - but I don't want to push her!

I think I'm nervous about screwing it up! I grew up thinking kids are "ready" to be potty trained at 2, 3 or 4 years old, but after learning about EC when I was pregnant and trying it with my daughter it really worked for us (with the normal ups and downs of course!). I just can't believe it really worked! Haha...

Any advice?? Thank you so much! I don't post much but I really enjoy having this thread as support.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
this is the time when you just keep doing what you've been doing - offer frequent potty-tunities, have lots of potties accessible to your babe, make sure they're wearing clothing that's easy to potty in (or nakey bum as much as possible).

It's also a pretty common time for babes to suddenly seem like they have NO interest in using the potty at all, and it can be frustrating especially when it seemed like they were moments away from being fully potty independent and then suddenly act like they have never seen a potty in their lives :wink Staying relaxed about it all and not making it mean anything is key. Stress is counter to EC, so find ways to keep things easy - training pants if nakey time is stressful, potty games & books for times when babe will not sit still long enough to go, etc.

I recently re-copied my EC "journal" which is a compilation of my posts to the EC support email list when my oldest was ECing, and there's some in there from the nearly-grad days that might be helpful for you http://www.wonderbabydesigns.com/blog/ (that babe is 14 now :love)

You can also try a support group - there's a couple good ones on Facebook and the original one on YahooGroups still gets some posts.

Happy Pottying ;-)

·
Registered
42 Posts
It does take time and trial and error. Don't worry about it too much, keep having a positive attitude and working with her. Children learn by repetition. Here is an article that might help. Keep going mama, you are doing a great job. -Cookin'Quiltin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does take time and trial and error. Don't worry about it too much, keep having a positive attitude and working with her. Children learn by repetition. Here is an article that might help. Keep going mama, you are doing a great job. -Cookin'Quiltin
Thanks for your responses!

I enjoyed the article's emphasis on having a positive, relaxed attitude towards potty learning. This is what I am striving for.

I like how the EC view has potty learning on more of a continuum. My daughter is now out of diapers and accident free when I take her at regular intervals and ask if she wants to go. This is a huge step for us, and I am proud of her!

I will take all of your advice about having fun with the process and not worrying. Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts