Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- This is actually for my friend who lives in Austin (I'm from VA). She'll be having her first baby soon and needs help in finding good quality second hand stuff in terms of clothes, equipment etc. Can any of you rec. good thrift store/consignment/church sales? I've been preaching to her that you don't need to buy anything new (save for a car seat) but my babble would be a lot more effective if she had a few locations to go on. I'm not sure where she live in Austin exactly, but she's near her culinary school for macro biotic cooking and would travel for the right stuff. Thanks to all of you! Jamarleo

·
Registered
330 Posts
Culinary School for macro biotics? Casa de Luz perhaps. drooling starts now.<br><br>
I live south so these are all south consignment stores.<br>
-Pumpkin Patch on South Lamar (ok, but I wasn't impressed...it just didn't seem that clean and I'm picky about that)<br><br>
-Children's Orchard @ Manchaca & Slaughter Ln. (nice selection of clothing...we're talking stuffed racked, limited selections on sleeping items everything was clean)<br><br>
-Once Upon a Child 7010 Hwy 71 W Ste 155<br>
Austin, TX 78735 (I think this is near the "Y" in Oak Hill) Lots of really nice stuff.<br><br>
The Goodwills around town are nice, but I think that their clothing is not that good of quality ime. There are a number of Salvation Armys but I have never been to one.<br><br>
hth

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
There are several Once Upon A Child stores around town. I go to one up north, on 183 (southbound side) just south of Anderson Mill Rd. Wish I'd looked for more stuff there when expecting my first, I would've bought much less new. I've always been happy with the quality of the stuff (toys, clothing, useful gear) in the store; I actually get most of my kids' clothing there now (daughter 4yrs, son 19mos). They have occasional sales, she could ask the staff, since it's a nice way to save a bit more.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
As another option, Craigslist in Austin is great. We've had great luck buying and selling. I bought my *entire* maternity wardrobe via Craigslist!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts