Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm usually being an "expert" (haha) and doling out "advice" but now I come to you for some help! And I have to thank you in advance, as I have learned so much from reading these threads and the advice and support you mamas have had for each other is tremendous!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
My son does have seizures, albeit very mild ones. It took us over a year to get them diagnosed, because they would never happen on an EEG (even a 24 hr one) and they were so quick, even DH and I doubted what his "spells" were. We finally had to take him in for a 3 day video EEG and by the grace of god, he had one on the 3rd day. He has been on meds since May and his seizures are all but under control. Last weekend, in fact, DH and I were running around like crazy and we forgot 3 doses (!) of his meds. It wasnt until I saw a seizure Sunday night that I realized how stupid we had been. But other than that, Ben's seizures are controlled and he doesnt seem to have any side effects from the meds.

That said, on to the advice. I would read up on the types of seizures. Most people only think of grand mal and petit mal, but those are outdated categories. There are many types and all are slightly different. A google search will give you all the info you could ever want.

Find out from his parents how this boys seizures manifest themselves, so you will know what to look for if he is having one. With DS, he falls down and his legs kinda jerk. If you did not know what you were looking for, you would just think he fell, like any active kid would do. But DH and I have an eagle eye for the specific kind of fall.

Also, from what I understand, when kids are sick/feverish, seizures tend to happen, even in kids who are controlled with medicine. So if the boy is not feeling well, dont be surprised if he has a seizure.

DS never had any reaction afterwards. In fact, he would get up and run off, like nothing happened (which is why it was so hard to pinpoint). But some kids can be groggy, etc after a seizure. Another reason to get as much info about the seizures so you can be prepared.

That's all I can think of, with our limited exposure. Seizure meds have really advanced, so hopefully this child's are well under control. He sounds a lot like Ben, actually. Some verbal processing delays and behavioral issues. Interesting. But the epilepsy is something I rarely think about beyond giving meds twice a day. Hopefully it will be the same with you and this boy. He sounds lucky to have you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.