Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have been doing some research on CD and have decided to go with prefolds/covers for now. I want to buy a package deal so I can have everything I need and have narrowed it down to buying from one of two places:

http://www.mtdiaperstore.com/shop/pr...products_id=57

http://www.little-lions.com/page19.html

Which one sounds better? I also need to buy an overnight cover and maybe some All-In-One's for when I got out. And I think that is it, right?

I am just really kind of scared of taking the plunge because it will be hard for us to plunk down alot of $$ at once and I really want it to work, you know? I know that in the end I will save money but it is hard to realize then when you put down $$ all at one. I also worry because I do not have a washer/dryer at home but would have to go to my local laundrymat and use coin operated machine, will that make it harder to wash the diapers? And BTW, do you wash everything at once- prefold and covers? Ack.... my mind is spinning right now...
:

But I am sure it will work out, my hubby is very supportive of the idea.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I bought my first package from montana's diaper store. Good experience for me! I like pockets when we are out. Swaddlebees are really trim, but fuzzibunz are more realiable, IME. I don't think the laundrymat makes it harder except for bringing them there and back and I was everything...wipes, covers, diapers all in the same load. Take the plunge, you'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know it is hard to take the plunge but so worth it. I was in shock at how much $$$ I had to spend on disposable diapers during the months my ds had to be in daycare. Do you know anyone who uses cloth and you can see their system? Or can you buy any used?

I personally liked the Prowrap covers better than the Bummis especially when my ds was small because the Bummis were so stiff at the waist. Of course now I love AIO but never invested much money in them.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Honestly I think a 1 month old is not going to last 2-3 days with just 2 doz diapers. I would get one of these packages with 3 doz diapers instead. This would allow you to wash less often which is good if you're using coin op machines: http://tinytush.com/chinese_prefold_packages.htm It also gives you waterproof bags to put them in (so you can bring them to the laundrymat with them in a waterproof bag. And you can try out some disposable paper liners this way, which keeps the poop off which would probably make it easier to wash in a coin op also.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I have ordered! Hopefully everything will work out.

The only thing I need in the long run will be overnight covers and I want to try the AOL or Pockets for when we go out. Any recommendations for these?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Either one of those packages will work. And I would just stick to those and not bother with nighttime covers or AIOs, especially if you're doing laundry in a laundromat. Prefolds are easy to wash, and at night you can just stick another one in the Bummis cover. You can wash them all together.

·
Registered
551 Posts
On another thread with a similar topic, someone suggested getting a small countertop washer - I think it was called the ergo egg. She seemed very happy with it and it seems like a great idea for those days when you just honestly don't have time to spend three hours at the laundromat. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mf_colon View Post
Which one sounds better? I also need to buy an overnight cover and maybe some All-In-One's for when I got out. And I think that is it, right?

And BTW, do you wash everything at once- prefold and covers? Ack.... my mind is spinning right now...
:

Just a few quick notes.

With my son, I did have a few AIOs for the church nursery, going out and sitters. I think I had about 5. I have heard some people talk about All Together AIOs and they seem durable and affordable but I haven't personally used them. I may order a few.

As far as washing covers, I usually just washed them by hand and hang them up to dry. If they got really dirty, I would throw them in the pail and wash them with the dipes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.