Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Voices for Vaccine launched a new site recently with advice for vaccinating parents on how to talk to vaccine hesitant friends and family.

I think a or of us VOS parents on MDC face this scenario.

There's a lot of good stuff in the article about it by Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahae...nd-about-vaccines-heres-a-start/#49312f9e1fe3

I haven't had chance to visit the site yet.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Very helpful, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a direct link to the Toolkit: http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/dont-hesitate-to-talk-to-loved-ones/

I have to say I'm loving the tone - it's so respectful and measured. I like this very much:

Keeping the conversation open, friendly, and respectful may be the best way to give all children a chance to be protected against preventable diseases.
Who can disagree with that!

I don't face this so much anymore, but my parenting style (which I might describe as environmentally conscious, attachment parenting) has put me in groups of people in which I suspect several were very hesitant about vaccinating. My experiencee on MDC has taught me how nasty these conversations have got, so I've been wary of them in the real world. This explanation of why it's so important to try I think is very helpful. :)

Love this bit too:

In any discussion about vaccines, the welfare of children is your common ground. It’s easy for a pro-vaccine parent to lose sight of this fact. Parents are vaccine-hesitant because they do not want to harm their children, and they are concerned that vaccines could be harmful. Remember that your friend is doing the best he or she knows how to keep that child safe, even if science proves these choices are putting his or her children at greater risk.
I really see a lot of parallels with this advice and the MDC philosophy of respect for vaccination choices. :)

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey @mamabear3141 - is there a way to request this thread be sticky? I think it's such an important support issue for MDC parents who choose to vaccinate. Our other parenting choices put us in situations where we have these conversations so frequently. Good to be ready. :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I struggle with number orders. I meant to ask @mamabear0314. Hoping that tags you. :)

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I'll check and let you know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts