Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hello, all!</p>
<p>So excited to announce that I will finally be fulfilling my dream of attending the midwifery course at WomanCraft in Amherst, MA this spring. YAY! I have chatted with several midwife/student midwife friends and they all seem to think that setting up a preceptor and getting started on some birth experiences is a good idea... Anyone have any advice on finding/choosing/approaching a potential mentor?</p>
<p>We live in Maine, if that helps!</p>

·
Registered
45 Posts
<p>HI. The Maine Midwives are pretty saturated, due to Birthwise Midwifery School having some large classes for the last couple years. Have you looked in Mass?  The best way to get to work with a midwife is get together a letter of introduction and your resume and send emails/call/visit. Repeatedly. :) </p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Have definitely noticed that there is an allegiance with the Birthwise school... which is fine and to be expected as it seems most Maine midwives are graduates of that program... they also guarantee you an apprenticeship as part of your tuition, so that makes it difficult. I am concerned about looking in Mass. for my apprenticeship b/c it is around 3hrs to get there... would that even be something a preceptor would consider do you think? It is an awfully long commute! I am starting to feel very discouraged, as I do not have the geographical/economic means to attend the Birthwise program (though I would love to) and there may not be a midwife who will take me on in the area. Grrr...</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts