Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me out. My ds is 16 months and nurses about every 2 1/2 hours during the day; every 2-4 hours at night. I have never been away from him for more than 3 hours, and I haven't pumped in forever (he rarely had a bottle of expressed breastmilk; probably the last time was maybe around 9 months?). Anyway, I have to stand up in a wedding at the end of September...in the morning, go get my hair done, be in the service, ride the trolley, take photos, be at the dinner, the reception, you know, a whole day of stuff. What am I going to do??? I think for one I will cry being away from him so much, and he doesn't do well being away from me for more than the 3 hours...sometimes when dh takes him out he even wants "mama!" after an hour or so. Also, these things go late into the night (although I am pregnant so I can use morning sickness as an excuse to leave a bit early I'm hoping!) and I always always nurse him before bed, he then starts out the night in his crib and if I'm lucky will sleep 3-4 hours but sometimes wakes after an hour or two. THen we co-sleep the rest of the night...he goes to bed around 8 usually. I'm just really really worried about how the day will go for both of us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I WOH so I'm used to being away from my nursing ds (2.5 years old) and before that my nursing dd but I understand your concern. Your little one will probably be fine. I just left my ds for an overnight trip with friends last weekend. It was the first time I'd ever been away from him overnight. I've only been away from my almost 6 year old dd overnight twice before (one business trip and when ds was born) so I was worried about her too.

They both did great! Ds actually slept better for dh than he does for me!!! Make sure your little one is with someone who understand that he might be upset and will provide lots of love and snuggles. Will your dh be watching him?

Whenever I'm away for bedtime all rules are off. The kids stay up, watch TV, whatever it takes to keep them happy. It makes it kind of fun for them and gives them something to think about other than missing me.

For you I'd say bring a pump just in case (something like the Avent Isis would be perfect). You might not need it but it's better to have it than be uncomfortable. Try to enjoy yourself... have some wine if you drink... dance... try to capture a bit of your pre-baby self for a few hours.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
yes- i would have someone- he is familair with - just go along- take himn to the park- etc then meet up with you are oppurtune times.... as needed.
I would cut out of the things unimportant.... and go first- etc when you can to fit in time for him.
if you are nursing him to sleep could you hire someone to come watch him while asleep at the reception?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.