Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother (who is three years younger than me) has a huge problem with me breastfeeding my now 6 month old in front of him. I can't use a cover anymore because my son is too distracted by it, but I think I'm very discreet. Anyway, my brother says he won't have a problem with his pregnant wife breastfeeding (or anybody else as far as I can tell), but only me because I'm his sister. He's not even consistent in his discrimination.... I love him and we otherwise get along well. Nobody in our family has breastfed before me, so I'm sure that has something to do with it... Yesterday he likened me breastfeeding to him having sex in front of me: inappropriate and gross. I was flabbergasted by his response. He wants me to feed my baby in private only. Now I'm wishing I had a good response. Does anybody have a good retort for me next time this comes up? I just want this conversation to stop...

Also noteworthy, my older sister with two older sons (11 & 14) of her own (formula fed only) has made comments to her sons whenever I breastfeed "look what your aunt is doing" or "do you want some milk?". Totally weird. I think I stopped those comments from happening, but retorts for that would be nice too.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I always find honesty works best. "Look, it's hard enough being a mom of a baby. I'm exhausted all the time and everything in my life is a little bit harder. I thought you of all people would be supportive. Will you stop kicking me out of the room? It's really hurtful and I had hoped you'd be able to just suck it up for my sake. Can you do that?"

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I wish I could come up with a snappy retort but that is not my strongsuit. My siblings and I are pretty rude with each other so "F*%# off"! was the first thought that came into my head. Perhaps not so appropriate. 0:)

I did find a page online at I Should Have Said

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's my own home, Sucks to be you. If you don't like me feeding my child then go away.

As for out and about, I normally ask if there is somewhere private to nurse or I try to sit in a corner and cover up as much as possible.

I get that people don't like seeing someone nurse .. but it's a natural part of having a child however I try to be as nice as I can without making it an inconvenience for me and my little one.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I would tell him that if he has a problem with it, then he can go into another room and deal with his problem in privacy. You may want to gently point out that nursing is no different from bottle feeding or feeding one's child solids and if an infant eating makes him uncomfortable that's his own issue, not yours or your child's.

My ex-brother-in-law (and frequently his wife and daughter) would leave the room any time I nursed (at his parents' house), but he never said anything to me. I figured that was his prerogative and much politer than my mother-in-law who would make comments about "how long was I going to nurse that child" (when my oldest was under 2).

Your sister's comments are totally baffling. I assume they come from a place of insecurity. The only response I can think of is gently pointing out that breast milk is for babies, not older children. Maybe say that of course the boys are welcome to watch you nurse, since it's good for them to witness a perfectly natural part of their cousin's life and hopefully one day they'll be supportive of their wives making the same choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts