Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm new here and just found this website and I can't believe i found that there are other people who are like me in the parenting department! anyways i need some advice. I have been putting my 2 yr old in his own room to go to sleep at night (i have to lay with him and let him pull my hair until he falls asleep, then i sneak out). around 2 am every night, he wakes up crying and i bring him in bed with us. well he just lays there, wide awake, his palms are clammy, he was holding his ears last night which i havent seen him do before (but he doesnt say they hurt, and he has no s/s of illness....but he does this even w/out holding his ears too), and he just kind of fidgets around in bed and pulls my hair and is WIDE AWAKE FOR HOURS!. he usually does fall back to sleep around 5 am ish, then wakes up anywhere from 7-830 am. he goes to bed at night around 8-10pm. so i have NO IDEA why he has been doing this, and its been going on for a while now, maybe a few months. probably 4-5 out of 7 nights. i just have no clue why. last night i actually left our bed and went and slept in his bed and made my husband deal with it. (i work nights, so on my nights off i need to get a normal nights sleep). so what do you all think of this? sorry so long!

thanks

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Hi and
to MDC!

We occasionally have this problem, maybe once a week and that's hard enough. I too go sleep in his room after trying for an hour or so to get him back to sleep in our bed, then he always goes back to sleep very easily for dh. He just moved into his own room a week ago and has been sleeping thru the night in there about every other night. Most nights when he wakes up and comes into bed with us he goes right back to sleep but he does have the odd night where he REALLY wants to wake up and lets everybody know by yelling at the top of his lungs I WANNA WAKE UUUUPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

It's hard - I don't have any advice, just commiserating, although I can only imagine how difficult it would be to deal with this as often as you do

I do think (and HOPE) it's just a toddler phase and he'll grow out of it. I just keep telling myself I'll be dragging him out of bed when he's a teenager.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My daughter does this when she is teething; particularly in the several-month-long period it took her to cut all four 1 year molars. She was up and wide awake for 2 or more hours in the pre-dawn morning, then fell back asleep to get back up pretty much normal time around 8:30. It.drove.me.nuts.

She has stopped now that the teeth are in, so I am grateful for the rest.

I don't have any fantastic suggestions to deal with it; I usually take a wait-it-out approach to these types of things and this one did pass on it's own. I surrendered to the fact that she was going to be up (she sleeps in my bed) and I just lay dozing in and out while she tossed and turned or sat up babbling and looked around. Eventually, she would come and cuddle and go back to sleep. My daughter was fortunately pretty happy to stay in bed and fidget quietly, she did not want to get up and play or tantrum or cry generally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.