Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they a good idea? Is there really a sucking instict that doesn't get satisfied by breastfeeding alone? Our boy is 3 monthes and has really began to fight when I try to rock him to sleep and then really tries to get his hands to his mouth. Sometimes I spend an hour trying to help him off to sleep and when I put him down, he tends to awake again. When I give him my pinkie he sucks away.
ing, new, mother.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used one for my last 2 children. I made sure they had enough to eat and then the pacifier helped me to be able to put them down to sleep. I wish they had sucked a finger or thumb but they did not. With my next child I am going to make sure his hands do not get washed after birth. I read in the book "your amazing newborn" that they will suck on there hands alot right after birth if there is still amniotic fluid on them. BUt if all else fails then I will use a pacifier. If this child needs it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was totally against them, until my acupuncturist pointed out that she seemed to be getting upset from overeating and throwing up curdled milk, and getting gas from eating when upset...I would nurse whenever she was upset if I wasn't obvious things.....and, I think she is very much a comfort eater...she seems much happier if I give her a nuk every so often..I can normally tell now if it the need for food or the need for comfort. If ever I give her the nuk, I still cradle her like she is being bf'ed and take it away when she drifts off to sleep...she normally uses it for about 30 minutes a day on and off to get to sleep.......during the day she seems to fight the need for sleep!!! She is fair happier in the long run not taking a boob when she is already full...fair less spitting up, fair less gas, fair less stomach ache..................so, from being totally anti them, I can see that sometimes there is a need. Now she is getting into her fists and fingers more, she is using them more to comfort herself and her nuk less. So, I think it is a passing phase!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts