Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The baby is 5 mo old and his eczema is getting worse. He is on formula and started solids at almost 4 mo. He has been taken to 3 doctors until now and tried everything from homeopathic drugs to antibiotics. His mom is taking him to a dermatologist on Wed, but until then I was thinking maybe someone has some advice or BTDT stories. When did it get better for you? What seemed to help?
Any reply is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
5,260 Posts
5 months is a little young for food- have they tried cutting out solids to see if it is a reaction to a food? Have they tried different formula brands?

· Registered
3,127 Posts
sounds like an allergy. could she switch formulas? if it is a dairy allergy she may have to switch to soy or hypoalergenic. also, i would back off on solids until 6 months, as it could be a reaction to something he is eating.

· Registered
1,789 Posts
My DS got excema (in rings, looked like ringworm) as a baby. The doc gave us some cortizone cream on it to use sparingly.

But - his skin even now gets super dry. Sometimes the patches look like that same excema to me. The winters are brutally dry here and the whole family gets dry skin. I make sure to put lotion on him after bath, and add olive oil to the bath itself. I also use vaseline when he scratches at dry spots.

· Premium Member
293 Posts
NAK
My DDs eczema is a symptom of food intolerance. It could be something the baby is eating or something in the formula.

My DDs eczema did not subside until I had eliminated all offending foods from my diet for a bit (top 10 plus oats).

Best wishes!

· Registered
587 Posts
I agree that its probably an intolerance of some sort. I would stop all solids at that age. With ds its been a constant battle and the only thing that works for us is to bathe once a week. DS skin gets so dry its horrible. I add olive oil to his bath and then when he gets out I oil him up with olive oil and then let that soak in and use pure shea butter on his skin (I mean slather!!). I usually put him in long sleeve pjs or something that will hold the moisture in. I typically slather him up at least 3 times a day. Once a day we also do some EPO capsules and that also helps tons. This regimen has been the ONLY thing that has worked for us as far as healing his skin. Also he sleeps in socks since he's a scratcher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.