Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this message board as well as being new to cloth diapers. I have purchased Fuzzi Bunz and am having serious leak issues! Here is the problem - I have 9 used (thanx to ebay) and 12 new and they all leak! Doesn't matter new or used. I have prewashed everything per the manufactuars instructions. Here are the combo's of inserts that I have used:<br>
- one regular cotton babies insert<br>
- one regular/one hemp<br>
- two hemps<br>
- one regular/one prefold<br>
- one regular/one MOE<br>
- two regulars<br><br>
I have eliminated "onsies" from my daughters attire. I have made sure the pants are not to snug.<br><br>
My daughter is 7 months old, 23 pounds, and 12 1/2 inch thighs, therefore these are all size large (which is the correct size per Fuzzi Bunz)<br><br>
I change her all the time, she rarely ever sits in a soaked diaper. BUT the urine is constantly leaking through! At night it even soaks the sheet. During the day it soaks her pants, mostly around the thighs. The poop has never leaked thank goodness, but I need some serious advice before I give up! I really want this to work.<br><br>
Thanks a bunch,<br>
Sarah

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
That sounds pretty frustrating! A few things to watch... make sure that the inserts aren't bunched up (I get that now and again and it makes for wet times!)<br><br>
try putting the MOE microfibre on top so it's the first thing the pee hits. They absorb really fast so should be able to deal with a fast peeing child.<br><br>
Are all your cotton and hemp inserts well broken in? They should absorb right away if you sprinkle water on them. If they don't, wash them on HOT or boil them to get excess oils out (this is how you break in prefolds. I know hemp can sometimes have a break in period but I'm actually grasping at straws here. I doubt this is the problem...!)<br><br>
Make sure you have a good fit. When my wife nurses our DD in our homemade front closing diapers, she gets wet because of the way the diaper folds on her. The diaper needs to be in contact with baby or pee will roll right off it.<br><br>
Anyone else have any other ideas? We've got to be able to help out here!

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Maybe detergant build up on the fleece? Try washing with some dawn. with machine or by hand in the sink.<br>
Maybe after the dipe is on there are gaps when she moves her legs around?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Maybe you need mediums?? You say that she fits larges by weight, etc - but my DS is 20 months old and about 27 (28 now??) pounds and I have only recently started using larges on him. He still wears the mediums I made for him at 4 months, although they are starting to get a bit small. He fits the medium FB on the last snap (= largest opening) for his thighs and the 2nd to last snap for his waist. These settings on the meds do not leave any marks on him (they are not too tight and the elastic is not stretched out). I do have his thighs measured at 11 inches, so it may not be your problem...<br><br>
The reason I suggest this is that when I first converted to cloth when he was 2 months old, I started with medium Proraps. He was almost fitting into that weight range and I did not want to get smalls b/c he would grow out of them soon. He leaked every time. Then I got some smalls and didn't have a leak after that. At that same time I was unable to use the medium FBs I had b/c they were too loose at the legs and he leaked out (I actually watched the pee come shooting out one day when he was sitting in his carseat and there was a gap between the leg opening and the inside of his leg.) Again when I thought he might be ready for large FB based on his weight, I tried them and he leaked. So I know that with my son he cannot fit into a size until he is several pounds over the minimum weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts