Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,572 Posts
Rubella virus has been found in breastmilk. Whether or not this translates to an infant getting rubella, I'm not sure on the evidence. Not a risk I would be willing to take considering the rate of adverse affects in women. If you absolutely felt you needed it, request the rubella only vaccine (I'm assuming this is what you are not immune to as it's a common prenatal screening). You might consider posting in the vaccinations forum as well.

· Registered
432 Posts
You asked whether the MMR was OK to get while breastfeeding.

According to Dr. Thomas Hale, from Medications and Mothers' Milk, "Rubella, and perhaps measles and mumps virus, are undoubtedly transferred via breastmilk and have been detected in throat swabs of 56% of breastfeeding infants. Infants exposed to the attenuated viruses via breastmilk had only mild symptoms." The lactation risk category is L2: "Drug which has been studied in a limited number of breastfeeding women without an increase in adverse effects in the infant. And/or the evidence of a demonstrated risk which is likely to follow use of this medication in a breastfeeding woman is remote".

That said, I would not get the MMR. It was originally a vaccine for children. In fact, the rubella vaccine poses a risk of arthritis in women who receive it post-puberty (see Dr. Sears's The Vaccine Book).

Again, if you're asking if it's "ok"--it technically is. I would just look into it further and see if it's really something you need at this time--or something that your doctor is recommending, irrespective of your titres.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.