Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going back to the east coast to visit my family. My dad had a heart attack and I just really need to go. DH can't get off work, so I'll be flying alone with my 10 month old. I haven't gotten the tix yet becuase I was hoping some of you more experienced moms could offer a bit of advice.<br><br>
Is it better to get the shortest flight, meaning hardly any layover, or should I pick a flight that has a bit of a layover so DD can get out some energy? I also have the choice of breaking up the flight in different ways. We could do two legs that are about the same length, or one long leg, one short leg.<br><br>
I'm really nervous just about getting through the airport with baby, carseat, and diaper bag. DD doesn't sit still and doesn't just sit content on my lap so I'm seriously thinking about buying her a seat so I can strap in her carseat. We did this on a recent trip to California and it worked out very well, she was comfortable, and actually slept most of they way. We didn't buy her a seat though, just chanced it, and got lucky. I don't know if I could take that risk on such a long flight alone.<br><br>
Anyway, any words of advice or encouragement? I can't even figure out how I could go to the bathroom in the airport with all of that stuff!!!<br><br>
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
there's a ton of mama experience on this subject in the life with a babe forum and the toddler forum.<br><br>
having done the flight from portland, oregon to the new york city area once by myself with my then 11-month-old son, my thoughts are:<br><br>
if you can get a cheap ticket for your little one (many airlines offer half price tickets for infants under 2) plus you can let the airlines know and provide them with doctors written verification that your trip is a medical emergency for your father, go ahead and get one. our son was also a squirmer but i took a chance and just brought along the car seat and lucked out with open seats on the way there and back. it was a blessing because he's very used to be strapped in the car seat.<br><br>
if your child is mobile (walking or crawling), i would say split the trip in two approximately equal legs. although it's a pain to get through the airports, giving our son a change of scenery helped to calm him down a bit and gave me the opportunity to feed him lunch while he was crawling around and exploring and working off his curiosity.<br><br>
as for how i went through the airport myself, i put my son in the maya wrap ring sliing, put my diaper bag on my bag, and since it was before we had a stroller, i just carried the car seat. (i do NOT recommend this as some of the walks through the airport were looooooooooooooong.)<br><br>
don't know what airlines you have options of flying with, but i prefere flying through cincinnati or minneapolis/st paul and hate, hate, hate flying through chicago/o'hare and prefer not to fly through denver unless landing in the earlier morning because of the turbulence that happens as a result of the bowl effect. i have had the option of flying through dallas/ft worth or washington/dulles but don't do so because of the distance out of our way of dallas and the long leg/short leg of washington.<br><br>
sending your father healthy vibes and wishing you a peaceful journey...<br><br>
~claudia

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would also recommend splitting up the flight if you can. DD and I fly quit a bit and at that age, we both appreciated the opportunity to "ground out" and stretch and move around during layovers...<br><br>
Also, I always bring stickers, a new library book, and a small new toy...<br><br>
Best wishes to you and your family and good luck with your trip.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you do bring a car seat attach extra straps to it and wear it like a back pack . Where dd in front works with Ergo and attached pack that you can buy extra that way you have everything you need in there and check everything else. OR<br>
They will allow you to have a stroller that you can check at the gate and it will be there waiting at the next gate, you do this at the ticket counter where you board.<br><br>
layover is good, but not a long lay over, an hour or 2 max.<br><br>
Definitely bring new toys and new special snacks.<br><br>
I always try to nurse mine a lot when flying.<br>
Ds is almost 2 now so it doesn't work well!<br><br>
Change diapers before you fly.<br>
I had an explosive poop experience and there was not a changing table on my flight. Some planes do not equip them.<br>
They told me to change it on my lap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to freak out.<br><br>
I heard of one mom bringing ear plugs for everyone on the plane!<br>
Expect your dd to be upset, she doesn't understand where she is and why she can't move!<br>
Everyone flying understands when there is a baby on board there is most likely going to be fussing.<br><br>
I have tried early morning and late flights and ds sleeps on the way there or gets totally thrown off schedule so do what works best for you.<br><br>
Many blessings to you. It will be AG (all good).

·
Registered
684 Posts
Having flown more times then I would care to count with the twins all alone here are a few tips.<br>
1) buy the extra seat don't risk an oversold flight<br>
2) dollar store toys or target dollar spot work great Magna doodles are life savers<br>
3) Cheep unbrella strollers If they get broke no big deal also easy to fold up fast and gate check.<br>
4) snacks, take your own sippy cups this is great for take off and landing have your DC suck on something even a sucker to help relive ear pressure<br>
5)I would break it up into two equall flights<br>
6)Take a carry on bag with a change of clothes for you and DC just in case of a blowout diaper<br>
7)If you do have lots of stuff to carry most airlines will give a voucher just to get past security that way you can have DH help you to the gate with carseat and bags and then have someone pick you up at the other airport and wait for you at the gate also<br>
8)even if your DC has a fit on the plane don't worry most people will never see you again anyways<br>
9)take a cereal like kix or puffs that are easy to dissolve in mouth it makes for less stress for you .<br>
hugs to you hope your dad gets feeling 100% soon<br>
Tiff

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I used one of the baby b'air tethers and nursed a lot and that was great. I also would ask if anyone has a combo carseat/stroller you could borrow. I think they are called sit and stroll. There are weels that pop out of the actual car seat.<br><br>
I'd bring lots of food/drinks and pack as light as possible even if you have to buy a lot at your destination.<br><br>
Hope your dad is ok and your travels are pleasant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BTDT. Do ask for a pass for DH or someone else to go back to the gate with you. We've had no trouble getting it. On the other end the person picking you up needs to go to ticketing & explain that they are picking up a mom & small child and ask for a pass.<br><br>
I always take my sling, a backpack and a fannypack (ugly but useful). I pack essentials in the fanny (1 diaper, ziplock with a few wipes, credit card, a bit of cash & change, tickets & ID.) I pack the extra things (toys, treats, water, etc in the backpack.) Baby is in the sling. My hands are free for the carseat. If you can get one with wheels or carry yours with a stroller or luggage cart, it does help. Another advantage is that my belongings are strapped to me in the airport & less likely to "walk away."<br><br>
I have to admit that I love suckers for flying. They seem to help with the ears. Or a pacifier or nursing or eating or drinking...whatever you can get your baby to do.<br><br>
Traveling with a little one is hard work. I always arrive at my destination very tired. It takes a lot of effort to help your baby be happy on the plane. good luck,<br>
d

·
Registered
244 Posts
What a ton of great replies! Everyone has fabulous ideas for you. I'll second everything and really stress that buying the second seat is a lifesaver. All the flights we take from Seattle to Wisconsin or Arizona (our frequent routes re: grandparents) are always overbooked these days. When DD was under 2, I was able to get a 1/2 price seat for her on every airline.<br><br>
When I fly with DD, I always sling her, even now at 3 1/2. It's just easier and less stress to know that she's attached and people can't / won't reach for her and she can't run. DD is very sensitive to noise, so that helps as well.<br><br>
I always carry a backpack for supplies, and one thing that I've done is put everything in large ziploc bags. It solves two issues: 1) easy to pull out whatever "topic" you need at the moment - food, toys, diapers, etc., and 2) keeps the yucky germs off when they completely search the bag at security. I've had a bag packed "just perfect" and then had it completely messed up when security rifled through it. Ever since then, everything goes in a ziploc bag. Works great!<br><br>
As far as the car seat goes, I bought a "metal, wheely thing" at a luggage store for like $15, and I strap the car seat on it with the attached bungy cords and wheel it thru the airport. The only potential issue is making sure the bungy cords don't snap up when you're attaching the seat and hit the child, but I've always been careful and never had even close to an issue with that. You have to put the "metal, wheely thing" under the seat vs. in the overhead, but it folds up nicely.<br><br>
We loved the Baby B'air harness when DD was younger. She could nurse and I still felt she was a bit safer than just being in my arms. It says it's not FAA approved for take off and landing, but I never had anyone tell me I couldn't use it during that time. (DD hates the car seat, so it was always an issue to get her in there.)<br><br>
A lifesaver for me, as DD is quite sensitive and spirited, was to get a pass for my husband (or a friend) to come thru security with me. At pre-boarding, I would go on and get everything ready and the car seat strapped in. Then, I would go back out to the gate area, and wait w/ DD until we would be the last people to board the plane. It would save her the stress of watching all the tons of people walking by her on the plane, which increased her anxiety, and also not make her be on the plane for an extra 45 minutes while it was boarded. Every airline we've flown has been ok with that with an advance conversation with the gate agents before pre-boarding time. When we travel w/ DH, he goes on first and gets everything ready, and then DD and I come last. It works great alone or with DH!<br><br>
We also try to get bulk head seats, as then you have some more room and don't have to worry about kicking of the seat in front of you. Most have a magazine pocket for you to stash your stuff.<br><br>
We also always got the window & middle seat when flying alone, so that we could nurse with a bit more room / privacy. I've moved the car seat to the middle seat, and nursed DD in the window seat often. Gives you piece of mind that the food cart isn't going to take off a foot as they go by!<br><br>
Best wishes, and just remember to breathe. Whehter your child is spirited or not, it's hard to fly alone with kids (in my opinion). I constantly remind myself to breathe throughout whatever is going on. Ignore everyone else, and focus on what is "right" for you and your child at that moment. :) Karen

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I've never flown alone with my ds, but we've flown a few times with us and have found what works well for us.<br><br>
The easiest way to get everything through the airport is to strap the baby on you in a carrier, and use the stroller to lug the carseat and extra bags. Carrying a carseat is just really hard- and that way you'll have the stroller to move stuff at your layover. A second bonus is that the stroller makes a great push toy for your dd while waiting at the airport!<br><br>
New or novel toys are the best. If you're in a playgroup, ask everyone to bring you one toy to borrow for the airplane. Saves you $$ and everyone brings you one of their most "entertaining" toys.<br><br>
Lots of snacks if you dd is on solids as well as a full sippy.<br><br>
A change of clothes for you, 2 for dd, and at least twice as many diapers and wipes as you think you'll need. But check everything that you can, and carry on the minimal essentials - makes navigating the airport easier.<br><br>
Wear slip on shoes, they always make you take them off and try tying and untying while holding an infant, a pita! Plus, be aware you will have to take your dd out of whatever carrier she's in to go through security and send it through the xray machine. The agents at the security check have always been more than happy to unfold my stroller and help me gather my bags when traveling with my ds.<br><br>
Also, call to book your tickets and ask about a discount for children under 2. Most airlines do sell 1/2 price tickets, which makes it a bit affordable to get another seat.<br><br>
When booking your flight, pick and aisle and window seat. There is a good chance if the flight is not full that the middle seat will stay open. If it doesn't, the person in the middle is always more than happy to trade with you for the aisle or window.<br><br>
HTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts