Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my title pretty much says it all but here is our "normal" schedule.

NURSE to sleep
and if my 18 month old wakes up in the middle of the night NURSE back to sleep and on and on and on like that.

So tonight I wanted to try the no nursing him to bed method. Naturally whenever I try putting him to sleep he asks for boo boo's & reaches down my shirt or hits them. So after trying for over an hour to get him to sleep I finally gave up and gave him to my DH to put Luke to sleep. Luke is crying as they walk away and it breaks my heart. I just don't know what else to do.

Is there a better way to night wean him? I tried cuddling, singing to him and giving him a sippi cup (and a paci that we like never uses, I don't even like the things myself :LOL). Sigh....I just feel so sad that he cries like that b/c he wants the boobie

I don't know what else to say except I needed to talk to other Mama's who'd understand. My DH says that Luke is fine and he does settle down & Daddy NEVER has problems getting him to sleep.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
what I did to get DS used to falling asleep without the boob in his mouth was as he started to doze off Id pop the nipple out of his mouth(by taking my finger and putting it right next to his lips and pushing quickly down and back) if he roots back let him have it and count to 10 or so and try again, eventually he might give up and fall asleep. I did this with DS around 6 months as he would fall asleep with a lazy latch and it was killing my nipples. he now falls asleep sometimes nursing for real and sometimes just cuddling(hes almost 18months) HTHs some
(PS whats so wrong with him nursing at night? :LOL )

·
Registered
620 Posts
Night weaning is the closest I ever felt to having DS "cry it out." SEEPAE asked-- what's so wrong with him nursing at night? For me, it was that I am a very light sleeper and couldn't sleep while he was latched on. i was beginning to resent the nursing altogther and dreaded bedtime because I knew I wouldn't sleep. and when Mamma's not happy ain't nobody happy. Night weaning is generally the lesser of two evils (any parent-led weaning is). If you don't feel that way than keep the night nursing, I'd say. It's a really tricky and personal thing-- esp since you think of yourself as different from all the detachment parenting we are surrounded by IRL.
Good luck. You know what's best.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies Mamas
Yes I am perplexed on what to do so I think we'll just take it slow for now. My son doesn't nurse much during the daytime hours anymore and it seems that b/c of this maybe he wants to nurse all night long.

I wanted to shoot for nursing him until he was 2 yrs old but now I am not so sure we want to go that long. I feel selfish for saying that at the same time
My DH doesn't want anymore kids for now (we have four boys btwn both of us). I think we'll just try rotating Daddy putting him to sleep and Mommy nursing him to sleep. Maybe we'll try an every other night method :LOL I don't know though. Its so hard for me to just say I'm done b/c I know Luke is not and I feel guilty for being selfish. Now I don't know if I'm making ANY sense in what I just typed out.

Last night Daddy got Luke to sleep right away. He woke up sometime in the wee hours and came into bed with us nursing away the rest of the morning

·
Registered
758 Posts
I nursed ds to sleep until he was about 26 months. At around that time, I would say sometime during the day like "Tonight we'll nurse, then we'll stop nursing and have some cuddle time". I kept saying it at nap and bedtime and a few times during the day. Then I stuck with it. We nursed both sides, then I unlatched and we cuddled. He complained a little the first time, but no crying. I had tried similar approaches before this but this time he seemed ready. Once he learned to fall asleep not on the boob, he slept SO much better and only woke once a night. And he had much more energy during the day because he stopped waking so much to nurse. Up to this point he had nursed 3-5 times per night and as a light sleeper, I was seriously sleep deprived, and recently pregnant to boot. I was highly motivated.

Now he is 32 months and sometimes he nurses to sleep at nap time but mostly he falls asleep after nursing. At night he sleeps through, somtimes waking once and just needing a little cuddle. Then right back to sleep.

I guess my main point is that trying to focus hard on giving him something different and nice to think about ("cuddling" rather than just no nursing) was important in ds's transition.

·
Registered
620 Posts
cuddling and kissing/hugging my breasts goodnight (huggamuck he called it) also helped my guy. It's true that you can't just eliminate something-- you have to replace it with something else or the baby will feel that much worse.

Your feelings, Kimberley, make perfect sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.