Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 22 weeks and for the last week I've been having a lot of contractions, sometimes as close as 2-3 minutes apart. I also have crampy lower back pain and lots of pelvic pressure. I've had a tiny bit of yellow mucusy discharge, but nothing more than that and no amniotic fluid leakage.

I keep checking my cervix and so far no real change. I've stayed about 1-2 cm dilated. The thing that worries me a bit is that my cervix seems very short. Maybe 2 cm at most. And it may be my imagination but it seems to be a tiny bit thinner now than it was when I began checking.

I have myself on bed rest, taking 3,000 mg of calcium with magnesium plus extra mag when I feel like I need it. Lots of water, trying to eat well. Is there any thing else I can do to prevent preterm labor? At what point would you go to the ER?

I just need to say how much the medical system sucks. I can't get an appointment until Sept 3 at the earliest and I KNOW if I had a care provider they would get me right in with the symptoms I'm having. It's like they're punishing me for not seeing anyone yet. One of the receptionists said she didn't even know if the doctor would see me since I am so far along. WTH? Like if you're not in there at 4 weeks, sorry, you don't deserve care.

· Registered
479 Posts
Just lie and say you wanted to switch doctors. Why wouldn't they see you based on how far along you are, that is ridiculous.

Stay with the cal mag for sure. of course try taking it 4 times a day, spread it out (I'll assume you are but JIC).

I think you are doing the right thing, but the more you irritate your cervix the more it may try to dilate or efface. I'd try to keep my hand out if I were you. (easier said than done I know)

Try resting as much as possible if that's available for you. Put yourself on "bedrest".

· Registered
3,460 Posts
Bedrest can create problems with blood clots, so don't overdo the bedrest anymore than you overdo activity level. Go easy in general.

And--is there a homebirth mw who might see you? Some of us are willing to see a mom just once, or just a couple of times, even if the mom is not planning to commit to full services. Maybe you could see a mw sooner than a doc.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
And--is there a homebirth mw who might see you? Some of us are willing to see a mom just once, or just a couple of times, even if the mom is not planning to commit to full services. Maybe you could see a mw sooner than a doc.
I wish. I live in a VERY conservative area, no homebirth midwives around. There are 4 CNMs but they are all in practices with OBs and from what I know of them they are just as medically minded as OBs. The Sept 3 appointment was with one of the CNMs. Pretty rude receptionist though and I'm not sure I'll keep it. Probably not. I am extremely stressed about seeing anybody at all because UC is just unheard of around here and I'm really terrified they'll call CPS. There's no getting around it either because my last was a UP/UC and I've had no prenatal care thus far...they're going to know what's going on.

So I just don't know. The contractions have slowed way down today and the other symptoms are much less noticeable. I don't think I want to risk seeing someone if I'm not positive it's necessary. There's always the ER if need be, though that could end up being even worse.

Quote:
Just lie and say you wanted to switch doctors.
Wouldn't they want to get my records from my previous doctor?

Quote:
Why wouldn't they see you based on how far along you are, that is ridiculous.
That's what I thought, but "ridiculous" is exactly how I would describe the attitude about birth where I live. It can't be done at home, especially not without an attendant. That's child abuse!

Anyway, thank you both for your replies!

· Registered
157 Posts
Try taking crampbark. One dropperful of tincture under the tongue and repeat as necessary. It works for me and often works for others.

Avoid RRL!!! In tea, prenatal vitamins, etc. Many food based prenatal vitamins have it and it causes contractions in sensitive people. Switch vitamins and go back to those about 34-35 weeks or so.

Keep up with the calmag and rest as necessary, but try an hour or so at a time several times a day. You can take it easy without being on bedrest.

-Kristi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.