Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend of mine about my sister recently and she suggested I post here and get some input.

My sister is 12 now, but ever since she was at least a toddler if not younger she has been flapping her arms randomly. We used to call her a birdie because she looked like she was trying to fly away. Her elbows are against her sides half the time. Other times her arms are outwards toward the sides. and her hands just flap away. And sometimes she even is on tip toe. I haven't seen her in almost a year and a half and my mom says she isn't doing it as much. She also seems to not understand when people just aren't interested in what she is saying. She has empathy and stuff and understands others have feelings too. She'll do what she can to comfort and care for others, but she just talks and talks about stuff even when no one is interested but she doesn't seem to realize they aren't most of the time, unless someone tells her. None of her teachers have really said anything about it, though. She does have a really hard time making and keeping friends, partially because of these things. My friend suggested these were signs of ASD and thought I'd be able to get good advice and opinions from you ladies. I've brought the idea up to my mom and I guess she heard some stuff on the radio about ASD that made her think of my sister too. I suggested she get her checked out.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Could be spectrum stuff. If she's struggling socially it's worth an assessment I think personally. If she already feels different I think it can help her navigate adolescence to know why she's different and that other people share that difference too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.