Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - here are the facts:

ds2 - 27 mos PDD-NOS, learned how to climb out of crib, destroy bedroom (dump all toy baskets, empty dresser drawers which i know if totally normal 2 yr old behavior) , wake up TWIN sister, open door and run around house. In the middle of the night.

I have another son, with a small bedroom, no playroom, pretty small house. there is no way my house is 100% childproof to allow him to roam all night.

What would you do? I could make ds2's room a very safe room with mattress on floor, very few toys and locks on dresser drawers and lock on outside of his door (it's next to our room so we would hear if he was ever crying)

this would be a pain because of moving his sister, finding room for toys etc. but not sure what are other options.

I want him to be safe. I want his sister to stay asleep. I REALLY want him to stay asleep as well but perhaps that is asking too much?

Does anyone have nighttime wakers? what do you do? dh let him watch videos for 3 hours last night so dd could sleep.

hs used to be a great sleeper but i think the excitement of getting out of his crib is too much fun right now.

advice??

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thankfully I have not had to deal with a nighttime wanderer, however several ladies at my parent support group found that a small dose of melatonin stopped the night time escapades. They have made their kiddos rooms safer environments, like putting mattress on floor and securing furniture to the walls, but the consensus is the melatonin works. they use very small doses and go from there.

I think the Autism research institute has some info on dosages and general info.
One of the moms said her dh started taking the melatonin and he started sleeping throught the night after years of broken sleep.
Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a wanderer and destroyer. At that age, I emptied Jordans room out completely and he had a mattress only in there. The bed base got dismantled because he would tip it over onto himself and because he doesn't feel pain, would hurt himself without realising.

It was a really tough period when he would destroy everything in sight (ok, so we're not completely over it.) I got locks for his cupboard, put them up nice and high and would store everything possible in there. What about a cover that can be put on the door handle and put it on the inside of his room. I had to do this after I found him wandering in the back yard at 2am (plus get another lock for the back door as he'd obviously figured that one out).

I found my son slept much better when he was 'enveloped' by something. So he also had an indoor playtent in his room filled with blankets and he would snuggle in there.

I haven't tried melatonin, though have heard some good results. My pead refused to give me a script for it (needless to say, I'm off to see another).

Goodluck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I deal with this one every night!

My son is now three and his nighttime behavior is scary! He Will Drive the cars if he could get the keys and he climbs on everything..... He seems to be on a "mission" during the night and driven to do a task or two that he heard a "no-no" for during the day.

Not sure if you have a Walgreens but, I found a travel alarm for about $6.00 that has Prongs that when connceted no alarm---but if the prongs seperate an alarm sounds. There alarms can be placed at the top of the door and the door can be left partly open. I just set the door with a stopper on both sides and close it far enough that he cannot get out without the alarm blowing. These alarms can be moved from door to door so if he gets up at night and wants to come to our room I can set it on our door and know if he walks out after I drift back to sleep.

I sewed bells on the shoulder and feet of his jammies.... Three different spots so he cannot silence all of them with his hands at the same time. Actually, most of my sons clothing has bells sewn on them someplace because he is a runner/hider! This way if he is up toddling around at night there is a ding-a-ling sound.... The kitties like the bells too!

We have used 1mg of meletonin for the past 4 months and found it works great for putting him Out but we still have the getting up issues in the middle of the night....I may need to use more then 1mg but have not wanted to increase it because 1mg puts him out in 15 minutes. I would also suggest that you do ask the doctor because in children most of this stuff has not been tested. I asked my doctor to give me a written note suggesting we try it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My son is much older now but he has Tourette Syndrome and some other disorders and his neurologist has for years had me give him melatonin and hes done fine on it. Most medicines havent been tested for children and my son is on a whole shelf full of them, the melatonin worries me hardly at all. Some of his meds he's been on since age 5 and they still havent been tested for kids. Id def ask the doctor about how much melatonin your child can take.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.