Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Here is the situation.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My last period was June 2008 before my pregnancy for my current 21 month old.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I took a pregnancy test in mid November and it was negative but I had 4 days of very light bleeding - not what I would call a period but the first sign of anything - I think implantation bleeding. On December 18th I took a pregnancy test and it was positive.  I took another one a week later and it was positive.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Since I was away on holidays I didn't get back until January 10th.  I called for a prenatal appointment and it's for Feb 10. I think I am about 10 weeks or so now, so my first doctors appointment would be at 14 weeks and then another week or so to get a dating ultra sound.  I kind of feel like this is too late considering my last baby was 10 pounds 6 ounces and 2 weeks over due and an emergency c-section.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Should I try a walk in clinic and see if they agree with me and would book an ultra-sound sooner?  When I called for an appointment it was a receptionist who didn't seem to know anything except that I couldn't get in.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Or should I just let it go and whatever happens happens?</p>

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
<p>Why do you need to know how far along you are, so urgently? Why does your first birth experience/birth weight/etc matter now? Personally, I'd pick the right provider and see them when you see them. I get the 20-wk anatomical u/s, and they should be able to tell you then roughly how far along you are. I don't see why you'd need to know any sooner than that.</p>

·
Registered
427 Posts
<p>I think you have two concerns which should be separated - 1) That you'd like to find out how far along you are in your pregnancy; and, 2) The size, time line and delivery of your first child.  In my mind, these two aren't necessarily related.<br><br>
On your first concern - the dating scan - I believe that it's recommended that this be completed between 10-16 weeks, but usually between 10-13 weeks if you're planning on having screening tests.  If I was planning on doing prenatal testing and I suspected I was already 10 weeks along, I'd want the ultrasound sooner than later.  If you're not planning on doing any screening tests, that I wouldn't necessarily worry.<br><br>
If it were me, I'd be comfortable waiting to discuss how your first pregnancy may mirror your current pregnancy until you have found your care provider.  I don't think there's much you can do about that right now.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts