Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got quite confirmation that I am pg with baby #3 and I'm not sure what to do. DD#1 was born by C-sec in a hospital. I feel the c-sec was probably unnecessary--DD was posterior and got stuck coming through my pelvis. The doc did not attempt to turn her, just told me I needed a c-sec. Unfortunately this was before I really knew any good info about birth. DS#2 was born at home with a DEM. Again, he was posterior but my DEM turned him during transition and I had him within 30 minutes after the turning. For both births I don't know if given the chance if the babes would have turned on their own. I was in a minor car accident with DD which may have caused my water to break prematurely (1 hour after the accident)--and like I said before, I was not smart and I went to the doc right away never having a natural contraction--only during the induction. With DS my midwife said my waters were bulging with every contraction so she counseled me strongly to break the water. After the birth she told me that because of the shape of my pelvis all of my babies would turn posterior and to make sure I had a midwife well-versed in turning babies if I was ever to have another child. I will tell you with DS the back pain was horrible, but I would choose that back pain over another c-sec anyday.

Well, now here I am pg again and am living in Japan on a military base (we are civilians--DH is a teacher at a DODDS school). The base docs take care of the prenatals until 20 weeks then we are referred out to a local doc. I am scared. Yesterday I was told that because I am on a base I am required to have all the prenatal tests--none of which I had last pg (except for an ultrasound, more for the video than for anything else
). Then I called the woman in charge of the new parents program for advise on the service providers in Japan. She went on and on about the doc that almost all women choose how the biggest complaints are he doesn't give the epidural fast enough (waits till 7cm) and he doesn't wear gloves. She also told me he often induces if the baby looks like it will be over 8lbs (both mine were). He does do c-secs and he often will use a balloon to stretch the cervix open. I asked about hb midwives because I know Japan has them, but she said they probably won't take me because of the language barrier--I don't speak much Japanese and it would be a safety issue if something went wrong, she also said she has never heard of one in our area--they are very difficult to find. I have spoken with DH about doing UC, but we are both nervous about the possibility of having to turn a baby and not knowing how to do that. We also have spoken about trying to find a midwife in the states who would be willing to be flown to Japan, put up in a hotel, and assist with the birth--it's just finding the money to fly the midwife, pay for the midwife's services, and finding a midwife willing to fly here to help us. I've also mentioned flying back to the states for the birth. Then again is the issue of money because it wouldn't be just me flying back--DH would want to and have to be there for the birth which would mean all of us flying back. Another prob with that plan is the military docs will not allow me to fly after 28 weeks and DH has to work and probably can't take off that long (even though for both past births I have delivered at 37.5 weeks).

Please help us work this out! I know it is early to be worrying about this, but unless we can think of a solution I'm not sure I can stop the worry--I haven't even been able to sleep since I had the inclination I was pg. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Quote:
he doesn't wear gloves
Ewww... I wouldn't let him within a mile of my vagina. Yuck. I hope the midwifes can offer you some advice. I would say check out the UC area and look for some doulas in your area. They probably know the birthing scene better than someone at the hospital.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaSarah
Ewww... I wouldn't let him within a mile of my vagina. Yuck. I hope the midwifes can offer you some advice. I would say check out the UC area and look for some doulas in your area. They probably know the birthing scene better than someone at the hospital.
It's actually a cultural thing here--I haven't been to a doc or dentist off base who has worn gloves--even when DS was in the hospital and had to have tests run nobody wore gloves. Although I really don't think for vaginal exams I would be very comfortable knowing he wasn't wearing them--no matter how many times he washed his hands!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Actually, even if you live on a base, as an American Citizen you have the right to refuse any and all testing. You might have to fight for that right, but it is yours. I know many many moms who have done just that (in Japan, even) I also know one woman who used the local Japaneese midwives in spite of the language barrier.

You can get the birth you want.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Have you read up on the UC boards about posterior labors? Also, there are lots of things you can do to prevent posterior presentation all during your pregnancy.

Personally, I would sooner give birth in a public bathroom alone that with that doctor you just described. Seriously, if I were you I would not give up on the idea of a homebirth, I would REFUSE all testing, an I would be reading up on UC.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Hmmmmm...I'd get a doula and birth at the hospital before I decided to UC because I don't like the docs...unless you were already considering UC BEFORE you heard about the sop of the doc...and that's just the guy every MAINSTREAM mama around there likes. I do think, that with enough digging, you should be able to find a midwife who'd attend you. I agree with PP that you should find a translator. Your husband teaches english...he should be able to find somebody who can translate for you, REALLY. I'd keep looking for a midwife. Try the Japan forum in the finding your tribe area. You may be able to find somebody who can help you find a midwife there. I really think that UC needs to be done simply because you have an implicit trust in your body and birth and the process, not because you are afraid of whay might happen at the hospital. Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am former military active duty and spouse- you can refuse any test you want to. I declined the AFP, cystic fibrosis, and flu shot. They can't force you into anything. If they give you trouble you can speak with the Tricare patient representative.

Would another military member have a bilingual spouse who could translate for you so you could see the HB MW? I bet you could track down a military member married to a Japanese woman who would translate. You could pay her the money you would spend on the plane tickets to the states and have a much less stressful experience. She could accompany you to your appointments and be present for the birth. And many people in Japan speak English, even is the translator doesn't work out I would try my luck with the midwives.

If it makes you feel better about the cervix and balloon thing that is actually done here in the states. A Foley catheter is used to stretch the cervix- it is a way to avoid meds during an induction (I had it done). But the glove thing is terrible- that's what "childbirth fever" was caused by. I hope he does great hand hygiene.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.