Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Her baby is 12lbs and 2.5 mos old (born at almost 9), and sleeping through the night. I'm looking for stuff that tells this ebf mom why her milk is much better than cereal. Something about calories and nutrition. I have all the info on why starting solids early is bad.

ETA: baby is 2.5 mos old. At 2 mo check up, they told her to start cereal at 4 months because she was so big.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
So her only reason is a big baby? My dd was born at 8lbs 12 oz and was over 12lbs by 6 weeks. She didn't have ANY solids until 6 months- HA, didn't eat more than the tiniest taste until 11 months. No more than a teaspoon a day until 13 months.

-Angela

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The reason is a small baby, sounds like. Mine was born at the same weight and is 17 lbs or so at almost 4 months. How would cereal help? Fills them up and they can barely digest any of it...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
ah, that is a horse of a different color then!

I don't have links, but a quick search should show you the calories per oz of breastmilk, and cereal will be on the side of the box. It will be a BIG difference. Breastmilk has a lot more calories for the same volume.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
My DD was 9lbs8.5oz at birth. At 9.5 months she is 18lb11oz, so she has been a slow grower compared to her birth weight (I don't remember what she was at at 4 months, but she was right around sixteen pounds for a while and no one was concerned). Our doc said no solids until six months for an EBF baby.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Sounds like a small baby to me. She needs to give her baby all the calories that she can instead of replacing it with virtually nutritionless and low calorie rice cereal.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
My DS was born 6lbs, 8oz, and shot up to just under 13lbs by two months. After that his weight slowed considerably, partly genetic, partly Mama lost her milk bein pregnant again. He has NEVER gained weight faster on formula or any other foods. I can't wait to see how his weight will pick up once I start giving him expressed breast milk after his brother his born. I know he will grow faster with my milk. Babies cannot absorb the nutrients in anything else like they can breastmilk, so it makes sense to me that mama milk is all they really need, at least for the first 6mo-year. DS's weight has picked up a little bit with the additions of avocado and other whole foods into his diet, but like I said, nothing compared to his growth while he had breastmilk. I would wait until the baby was old enough to eat healthy things like those mentioned above, and forgo the cereal.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Eek. Our pedi raised an eye brow at the 1 month check. DS weighed 9 lbs 13oz at birth and 13lbs 11oz at the one months check. Luckily he also scored high on length. 23 inches at birth and 23.5 at 1 month. I am sure he will be 16 pounds at his 2 months check. If the pedi gives us a hard time about it I'll have to switch...

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
My dd is 9 months old. At our ped appointment I got a LONG lecture about how there's no iron in breastmilk, that she should now only be nursing 3 times a day, and that I MUST give her rice cereal because she is probably SEVERELY iron deficient by now.

They then ran a blood test for iron.

She is PERFECT. No iron deficiency whatsoever.

She is still about 90% breastfed and has NEVER been given rice cereal.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
So her only reason is a big baby? My dd was born at 8lbs 12 oz and was over 12lbs by 6 weeks. She didn't have ANY solids until 6 months- HA, didn't eat more than the tiniest taste until 11 months. No more than a teaspoon a day until 13 months.

-Angela
Same here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our daughter is 21 lbs at 6 mos and we just started feeding her rice cereal.

Of course, our ped is married to a lactation consultant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts