Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
One thing I gave my ped when we had a problem with this was a copy of the AAP's guidelines for breastfeeding and the use of human milk. That specifically states that formula advertising undermines breastfeeding success. You should be able to find the document on their website. I'll see if I can find and post it tonight.

Here it is:
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;100/6/1035

Scroll down to the section titled The Problem. What I did when I gave it to our ped was highlight:

Quote:
Obstacles to the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding include physician apathy and misinformation,61-63 insufficient prenatal breastfeeding education,64 disruptive hospital policies,65 inappropriate interruption of breastfeeding,62 early hospital discharge in some populations,66 lack of timely routine follow-up care and postpartum home health visits,67 maternal employment68,69 (especially in the absence of workplace facilities and support for breastfeeding),70 lack of broad societal support,71 media portrayal of bottle-feeding as normative,72 and commercial promotion of infant formula through distribution of hospital discharge packs, coupons for free or discounted formula, and television and general magazine advertising.73,74
There is also a good section titled Recommendations for Pediatricians.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.