Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a miscarriage at 18 weeks 31 days ago. Last week I began spotting again for a couple of days and then had AF. But it was not normal for me. It was really dark, deep red in color and has some clots. But was not really heavy. Like I used only one or two pads a day. Yet, when I went to the toilet, it would seem like it was filled with blood. It is leaving today so I know it was AF and not some latent MC symptom, but it was just different.

I was wondering if this was "normal" AF for after a MC. And if so is the first usually the only one like this, or should I expect more?

This was my first MC. So any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
80 Posts
hello kidzaplenty,

first of all i am so sorry for ur loss.....i recently had my first m/c too......i was 5 weeks pg......started having the m/c on the 12th of June...bled for about 9 days and then got AF exactly 4 weeks from the day of the m/c. Af for me also wasnt normal ......it was bright red,not so heavy and lasted 9 days......finished and then started again after 4 days.......i am still bleeding!

I guess it might take our bodies awhile to get back to normal.......and about other AF's i cant help coz im still having my first one
: but i really hope this is the first and last weird AF for both of us!!!

good luck to u!!1

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
to you both.

After my M/C the flows after were HORRIFIC!

I swear the first 3 I thought I was having another m/c each time.. but knew for certain that I was not.

It sucked... the pain was just the same, the backache, abdomen pain, everything was just the same.

My flow was completely wacky.. we are talking going from bleeding anywhere from every 18 days to 21 days to 26 days back to 19 days later.. it was nuts.
And not to mention bleeding for 7 days straight, which is not my norm.

I finally started seeing a homeopathic and he did WONDERS for me... for my cycle, for my emotional well being, for my physical well being.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi kidzaplenty.

my first period after my miscarriage (12 weeks along, six weeks ago) was nearly identical to yours, (very light flow, extremely dark burgundy, with clots, and what looked like a massacre in the toilet everytime i peed) and according to my doc, is totally normal. in fact, she asked me about it and described it exactly to me before i even had a chance to mention to her that i thought it was an unusual one. she explained that my uterine lining wasn't very "thick" (for lack of a better word), and that it might be a few cycles before my body built up enough tissue to result in a normal bright red, heavier flow. she also suggested that i wait to ttc until after i have a normal period--for a better chance at a successful implantation.

anyway, i'm so sorry you're going through this loss, and i hope some of the information here helps at least a little.

hugs.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I have never had a MC before, and did not go back to the doctor after the MC, so there was never any discussion on what to expect. I am glad to know that it is all normal. I have never gotten a break from AF, even after a birth (I get mine back at about 6 wks pp, and exclusively breastfeed!). Yet, I have never had one like the first after my MC.

I guess I am blessed, though, because I have very mild AF symptoms. A light upset stomach is it (well, with a little high strung emotions). So at least I did not have to have harsh pains and aches to go with it. I will not be TTC, as it is against my principles, but I will not be TTNC either. In some ways I am hoping to get pregnant right away, but in others, I am ok with no being pregnant for a while. So I guess I will be leaving it in God's hands. I figure, He knows what is best for me.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and well wishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.