Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having weird periods since af returned after my last baby. My cycle has always been short, but I'm not sure how to chart these now. I start spotting and keep spotting for about 5 days, then heavy AF comes for another 6-7 days. Some cycles I've had CM the last day of bleeding, so that would make me think that the first day of spotting is the first day of my cycle. My cycles have always been short, and now they're 24-25 days long.

I went to an LLL enrichment meeting this last week and learned about NFP and I found that I knew almost all of what she was talking about already. She did mention something though that the spotting and short periods were not really healthy and that women with that problem should really be taking hormones to fix it.

What do you think? I probably won't do anything about either of these issues, as DH and I are talking about TTC again soon, but I'd like to know if my body's working the way it should.

TIA!

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Breastfeeding?

With cycles that short I'd be worried about your luteal phase being long enough to support implantation. Also, with all that spotting, I've got to wonder if you'd have enough lining to support a pregnancy.

Have you been able to chart your temps at all to see if you're ovulating?

Hmmm, let me check something, hmmm, guess not, I was thinking PCOS because of the spotting, but that's long cycles.

Okay, I'm not finding anything that seems to match your situation exactly. Very short cycles and long periods can both be hormonal problems.

Hopefully someone else will have guesses. If I were you I'd also post over in health and healing.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for helping me out!

I'm am breastfeeding
I should have mentioned that. We're also night weaning at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's affecting things a little.

I've been charting my BBT as well, but it's all over the place. My CM says I am ovulating, but the temps aren't conclusive. Part of it I'm sure is that I'm up several times with the kids and don't get a resting phase long enough before I take my temp.

Interesting that you mention the luteal phase. With my first baby, we were doing fertility treatments and that was one of the concerns. I actually had an endometrial biopsy to check the lining (after I had a negative blood test for pregnancy) and it said that my lining wasn't 'ripe' enough to host a fertilized egg. Interestingly enough, I was actually pregnant at the time, but my hcg levels were slow to rise.

After the initial fertility problems, we've had two unexpected pregnancies, despite barrier contraceptives. Both times, right before DTD I thought to myself, "Gee, lots of CM today, I could get pregnant if we wanted it." My cycles were still short, so I know that it's possible, although unlikely for me to get PG like this.

I'm also suspecting that I'm anemic. I've had problems with it in the past, but the supplements I was taking before were really bothering my nursing baby, so I cut them out. Could anemia also be a problem?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts