Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am NOT a homeschooler. We tried. I am too much of a virgo. I overplan everything. I have to or nothing gets done. And my son LOVES routine and planning and "school" times. We have been winging it and using everything free we can with some supplementation with Earth School and Everyday Waldorf, but my kids love the Oak Meadow samples we use from their website.

I desperately want to get Oak Meadow preschool or kindergarten for him, and for my dd (5.5 and going to K public school this year, but may not stay all year). But I can NOT afford it. We are so dirt poor. Does anyone know any sources to get Oak Meadow for cheaper/used/on a scholarship?

TIA.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
definitely look around used.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
eh, I was just bidding on Oak Meadow curriculum on ebay. It ended up going for almost as much as new. It wasn't complete, and when you added in the cost of the things needed to complete the curriculum it ended up been at least as much as buying the whle package new. If. Not. More.
:

I guess on the bright side it shows how much people like the Oak Meadow system.

·
Registered
456 Posts
There are a couple of sources for buying OM used, from what I hear you need to closely monitor them and respond immediately:

Waldorf Curriculum Supplies
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
waldorfcurriculum-supplies/

Waldorf Stuff
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/waldorfstuff/

My own experience is that Waldorf stuff on eBay is usually bid up close to the new price.

Also, Oak Meadow now has an online option that is super inexpensive...plus you pay monthly instead of all at once (I think, please look that up).

Best wishes,

Lucie

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you like it? Does it cover enough bases that you don't need to buy any of the other materials?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Does your state have charter schools specifically for homeschoolers? We are enrolled in a program that gives us a yearly allotment to cover curriculums and supplies and lessons. There is some paperwork involved but it's not too bad and really worth it for us. There's no way we'd be able to afford curriculum without it. Maybe try googling homeschool charter and {your state}? I don't think all the states have them but I know that a number of them do.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
While you're casting about for Oak Meadow materials, have you looked at Ambleside Online? IIRC, there is some overlap and similarity of intent, which could prove helpful for when you get your hands on the OM.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is a yahoo group of Oak Meadow Homeschoolers. I am using it for ds for preschool and I bought the curriculum there - used and very inexpensive. You could join ask some questions and see if anyone is selling their curriculums - alot of times people post what they have that they are selling, usually without the art supplies which are easy enough to supplement.

I know how expensive it can be dd is doing Enki - wow!

Good luck,

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't know if all companies offer scholarships, but I do know that Enki does.

www.enkieducation.org

So it may be helpful to look around.

Also, if you join a charter (public independent study program) many have shelves full of Oak Meadow that can be checked out and used without spending your educational funds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello...I do have the Oak Meadow Kindergarten curriculum if you are still interested. I would be willing to sell it at a super reasonable price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.