Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you do with a five year old who is suddenly scared out of his pants and won't let you out of his sight? Okay, the reason he suddenly got scared is because he listened to a Magic Tree House book on tape that was talking about mummies. It got kind of graphic talking about what the body looked like under the wrappings and then they started playing this eerie kind of music. Well, that was it for him and he came shooting out of the room where it was playing and told me he had had enough of that! I don't blame him. I later heard it myself and I thought it was a bit much. That will teach me to be better about screening things first, huh? Regardless, he is now afraid to be alone at any time. At first, it was so bad that when my dh got home from work my ds would demand that we both be with him at all times. He's gradually loosened up on that requirement but my days with him are totally trying on me. Today, all I wanted to do was go to the bathroom by myself (I'm having my period for cryin' out loud! Surely he doesn't want to witness that?!) and when I told him that he couldn't come in with me he wedged himself in the doorway to keep me from closing the door. I finally convinced him to go sit the room where his younger brother was napping so he could at least be with somebody while I had a moment to myself in the loo. I feel like I've extended incredible patience to him and have tried to not make him feel bad for being scared but I'm beginning to think that perhaps he's bordering on an anxiety issue here. And my dh has no patience for it when he comes home from work. I had to remind him of how deep our ds fear was after he started punishing him for not putting his clothes away like he had been asked to do (he didn't realize that putting them away would have required him to be alone in another room for a millisecond).<br>
Any ideas? I've gotten some books from the library about anxiety and steps I could take to work with him, but I don't know....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Have you talked to him about it?<br><br>
Asked why he is afraid? How does it feel when he is afraid? What helps him feel not afraid? How does HE want to get over this?

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
i think i might address the mummy issue with my dd1 (6.5) who has a lot of anxiety. i might check out a book on egypt and mummies from the library and screen it first to make sure it's not too graphic. something that touches on the idea, but has no scary music to go along with it. you migth like to check out a funny book about mummies, too. have y'all read any of the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSkippyjon-Jones-Puffin-Storytime-Schachner%2Fdp%2F0142408727%2Fref%3Dpd_bbs_3%2F105-8436776-0590835%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Dbooks%26qid%3D1188650867%26sr%3D1-3" target="_blank">skippy jon jones</a> books? they're very silly, but there's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSkippyjon-Jones-Mummy-Trouble%2Fdp%2F0525477543%2Fref%3Dpd_sim_b_1_img%2F105-8436776-0590835%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1188650867%26sr%3D1-3" target="_blank">one about mummies</a>, too. the premise is that skippy jon jones, a siamese kitten, likes to pretend that he's an adventurous, brave chihuahua, complete with bad accent. very silly and the mummy one is not my fave, but kids that age love it. maybe check out the first one first and if he likes that then go to the mummy one. of course, skippy jon jones, has to face the mummy and gets really scared and then does it anyway and it's all okay. it might help for this situation.<br><br>
hth

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beanma,<br>
Thank you so much for your book suggestion. What I've been reading regarding anxiety continues to talk about facing your fears and living through it. Reading about what he afraid of might do the trick. thank you!

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
hope it helps. you get to do really bad accents when you read 'em...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts