Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is afraid of our downstairs bathroom. It started about 8 weeks ago, when we had a clog in the sink. I used the drain snake to unclog it, and calling it a drain "snake" was mistake. My daughter believed there was a snake in the sink and hasn't gone in the downstairs bathroom since. We have explained to her that the snake isn't a real snake, it's a tool to get clogs out. We have shown her the drain snake, and I did carry her into the bathroom and show her the sink, snake free.

My dh and I didn't make a big deal of her fear after that. We figured that after a while, she'd just get over it.

The problem now is that she and her brother have been taking their baths in the upstairs bathroom. I have decided to call a halt to that because the upstairs bathroom is carpeted and try as we might, we can't keep water off the floor up there when they bathe. We have even tried putting down an old shower curtain, but we still end up with water all over the floor. There is no exhaust fan or window in that bathroom, and no electrical outlets (this bathroom was carved out of part of the storage space behind the spare room), so the carpet just stays damp, day after day. I am afraid the floor boards are going to start rotting.

I have explained this to dd, but she is adamant that she will not take a bath in the downstairs bathroom because she's afraid of it. There is no shower head in the upstairs bathroom, so our options are bath upstairs or bath/shower downstairs.

What do I do?

Namaste!

Ps. I'm also tired of having to run upstairs to wipe my dd every time she goes to the bathroom!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If it's warm enough and you have a private enough yard (you are comfortable and your neighbors won't complain), you could try cleaning the kids w/the garden hose! Use a diluted natural soap, and it shouldn't harm your plants. You'll get wet doing this but could wear a swimsuit.

Meanwhile, I think (having temporarily feared certain areas when I was a child) that your best course is to respect her fear but not make a big deal out of it, and see if you can find a way to entice her back in there. Your son is not afraid of that room, right? Maybe you and he could play a game in which something special happens in there--like you go in there and change into costumes--something unconnected to the room's ordinary uses.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
When I saw your topic, my first thought was "is dd 3?" which I see she is. Would she feel more comfortable if you put a brick on top of the sink drain while she was in the bathroom? Maybe you could fill a container with something like baking soda and call it Snake-be-gone. Pour it in the drain. For extra excitement (and fizz) pour a little vinegar on top.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I did such a double take when I read the title of this thread cuz my son is afraid of our downstairs bathroom! He's afraid becuase the toilet makes noises...

He's developed all kinds of fears lately though...he won't be in any room in the house without an adult, he won't sleep in his own bed anymore, he won't fall asleep by himself anymore, he won't even go to the bathroom by himself....*sigh* REALLY difficult when he has to pee and I'm in the middle of putting the baby to sleep....

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Mamabohl, how about a pee jar in a convient location? I really think there is a developmental leap that happens around three, some kind of increase in awareness of potential hazards, and the bigness and uncontrollable nature of the world. I think they are starting to realize that mommy and daddy don't control everything and it is scary. My ds didn't want to walk past an unconnected speaker because he was afraid it would turn on by itself. He also got freaked out by singing fruit on Sesame St and we unplugged the TV and put a blanket on top of it for a couple months. All-in-all it only lasted about 3 or 4 months for us.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can you get a dehumidifier and put it in there to dry the carpet out after the baths? Or jsut replace the carpet with lino or tile or something?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
What about taking control of the bathing - getting in the tub with them and doing all the washing and then ending the bath as soon as you can and getting everyone out? My dds splash water everywhere during their bath, but if I get in and get it over with, there is a lot less of that.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies. In and of itself, the whole being afraid of the bathroom thing isn't a big deal, and I wouldn't mind making accomodations for it if it weren't just another of a million things I already make accomodations for. I know that making accomodations is part of being the parent of two small children, but sometimes I just wish things could just be done the easiest, most efficient way, rather than the most convoluted and complicated way.

Namaste!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmamama
sometimes I just wish things could just be done the easiest, most efficient way, rather than the most convoluted and complicated way.

:LOL Ain't that the truth!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts