Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis is my first dd and I do not have a lot of experience. I have been very cautious not to feed her large pieces of food, she gets everything mashed up or very lumpy. I give her little pieces of banana but they are so small, she can hardly grab them with her fingers. The same for avocado. I have not given her teething biscuits (sugar) or cereal (sugar). I want her to have healthy foods but also want her to learn to feed herself and eat larger chunks. Am I overly cautious and could she eat chunkier foods already? She doesn't like bread but she does eat rice, beans etc.<br>
Could you handle half peas with skin or half red beans already?<br><br>
Thanks from an (overly?) protective mom!<br><br>
Christa

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was worried about this too, but my son was ready for more "big people" type food when he was 11 or so months old. I wouldn't worry about a baby choking on a pea or even a bean. Give them one at a time if you are worried about her craming her mouth full.<br><br>
Watch how she does and let her give you cues for what she is ready for. I can now give my 14 month old a whole slice of watermelon or a whole banana and he takes bites that he can manage. No choking, no problems... and he loves it!<br><br>
Christine

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I agree with Christine. My dd decided at about 11 months she didn't want her food even cut into pieces! She wants to hold the entire peach or banana, and will eat most of it that way. When I first started letting her eat bigger pieces and food with more texture I had her sit in my lap, so that should she get choked, I could quickly turn her upside down and dislodge it. At 13 months I still cut up foods into "bite size" for her, but she eats most table foods, and I do let her have larger pieces of soft foods that she can bite herself. She also eats rice cakes- no sugar, and can hold these herself.<br>
Good luck.<br><br>
Laura

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Christa<br><br>
Is/was your baby breastfed? Breastfed babies have a much better gag reflex than bottle fed babes, meaning, they are less likely to choke.<br><br>
Breastfed babies also almost never need to have "baby food" of any kind. Once a baby is old enough to pick up pieces of soft food, she is old enough for finger food. Feeding mashed food is really a product of our artificial (formula) feeding culture. Infants who are recieving less than perfect food in the form of formula need to supplement with solids before they are really ready for them. Bf babies generally don't need solids until they can pick them up and feed themselves.<br><br>
So, what I'm trying to say is, your little one is more than likely ready for soft, chunky foods. Soft steamed veggies, ripe pear or peach spears, bananas, rice cakes, avocado spears are all good.<br><br>
Have fun and try not to worry!<br><br>
peace, Beth

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was the same way with my first dd. I was terrified she'd choke. She did (and still does) have a really sensitive gag reflex which only made things worse. Sigh... So, I was really over cautious with her. However, my twins 8.5 months old, will eat just about anything. Even pieces which are way larger than I ever gave my first dd. I think its really common to worry alot about the first kid.<br><br>
One thing that helped alot though was a CPR and First Aid class me and my wife took thru the Red Cross. If I only remember one thing, its that your kid is fine if shes coughing. Just stay with her and make sure shes ok. A person able to cough is able to breathe. Not sure if that helps you, it sure helped me.<br><br>
Good luck and bon apetite!

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I was also the same way with my first, and it didn't help that she gagged on many things until she was 13 months old (but she nursed non stop)<br><br>
My second wanted solid food at 8.5 months and I was super cautious until I found him taking his sisters food and chowing it down. I found him walking around eating a whole apple at 11 months... and he was fine. He never would eat anything mushy either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts