Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wanted a different title for this post but couldn't find one. I am not so against any form of circumcision but I am convicted, passionately, to living life naturally and livng the genitals of males and females intact.

I am a Nigerian living in the U.S. I am the father of son soon to be 6 months of age and he is intact, thankfully. It was quite a battle, and still is, but I have a conviction to principles of natural living so it comes easy
Are there other Nigerian, or African's in general, fathers or mothers who share this same conviction to leave the genitals of their sons AND daughters intact?

A clumsy argument I hear often is that circumcision is our (referring to Nigeria, or Africa) culture and tradition. A friend of mine once mentioned to me (many months ago) that I probably was not the only Nigerian father who wants to leave his son's genitals intact. So I was just thinking today if that may be true. If you are out there I am sure you are in dire need of support.

While being Nigerian/African sould not be a factor in the struggle to not circumcize, it can become a very strong factor, especially from family members. I would like to connect with other Nigerian/African parents who are in such a decisive situation.

I was born and raised in Nigeria through my mid teenage years so I easily debunk the argument of Nigerians that I am not Nigerian/African because I wasn't raised there (some think I was born in the U.S.). Not that it should matter, but for those who want to make it an issue it doesn't hold water.

So, if you are out there, say hello.

BTW, I found mothering.com recently (in search of information on how to increase breastmilk supply). I am a father, not a mother, but I can't find any resourse like mothering.com for fathers who care about mothering topics. I'm taking the initiative to connect my wife to objective and honest sources of information that are otherwise unavailable on T.V. commercials.

-Osioke

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I am not the person you are reaching out to but wanted to extend my
to your courage, clarity and advocacy! Your wife is a lucky woman to have your support.

Blessings!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am so glad that you have made this decision. I can't imagine how hard it must be to fight the medical establishment and deal with strong cultural/family issues. Please remain strong! Check out the Dads forum and read all the info in this circ forum. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts

You have found a wonderful set of forums and parents of all genders are welcome here.
Congratulations on your strong stand and for setting an example for others to hopefully follow. My husband is South African and I have done some reading on the Xhosa circumcision rituals...sad, sad stuff.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Osioke:

Welcome to our forum. There are a few men here and the women are very welcoming and accomodating to us and we all extend a warm welcome to you. We have much the same fight here that you have in Nigeria. Let's join hands to end genital mutilation world wide!

Frank

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Welcome!
For good breastfeeding info try http://www.kellymom.com

Congrats for leaving your son normal despite cultural pressures.Does your culture typically circ during child/teen years? I face increased pressure as my son grows older.I wish I only had to deal with it at birth!
Take care and I hope you find others for/to support.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
i would ask our nigerian friends but they are commited bachelors at this point

i will ask my dh to get started working on them though (but you *cannot* tell ola anything; it will take awhile! it's good to know i can send him here to talk to you when it becomes pertinant! because if a fellow countryman is telling him, it will make him more likely to listen. he is very stubborn!)

ps ot he just brought me back the *loveliest* purse from his last trip. i must make him more oatmeal cookies in thanks (recipe in 'nutrition <g> they are his favorite.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Osioke!

Congratulations on your attitude - it must be difficult to stand up to culture like that!

I'm South African, and there are some cultures here that do circumcise - but generally only boys in their teens. Typically, 30-60 die every year from the Xhosa "initiation ceremonies".

Graeme

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Another South African here!

G-ZA is right. Its very scary. They are taking measures to stop this from happening. In the initiation ceremonies, a lot of the time it isnt done in hospital. The boys are 12-13 yrs old and some are brutally damaged every year!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Guys!

Just a quick notification that NOCIRC-SA has been conceptualised and is finally born!!

My name is David Korevaar, the National Co-ordinator for NOCIRC-SA, South Africa, and I invite all intact- list members members to check out our Website at: www.nocirc-sa.co.za and if you have any information you would like to make comment on, we have a forum to air your views on. Suggestions and constructive criticisms also accepted. NOCIRC-SA's email address is [email protected].

Please contribute in any way, to make this website as accessible as possible to anyone you may think would directly benefit by it.

We are also directly linked with our brother organisation; www.norm-sa.co.za for restoring men.

Thank you for the support

Regards
David Korevaar
NOCIRC-SA National Coordinator - South Africa

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
osioke,
best wishes for your wife & wonderful son !
You will receive much support here & we all hope you enjoy your stay here on this thread.

I have a 10 intact month DS (dear son) & my DH (dear husband) is sadly circ'd. He has a 12 yr old DS from a previous marriage that is also circ'd.
When he read how it was done, he agreed with me that no way.

Unlike yourself, we did not have any cultural issues but sometimes old culture needs to be upgraded.

Welcome - the kellymom breastfeeding link is a great one also any le leche league is good.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebIndex.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts