Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The after pains that I had with #2 were SOOOO much worse than they were the first time. I never did take any pain meds because I try not to REALLY hard especially with nursing and everything but I'm really starting to get nervous now that I'm expecting #3. I hear that the after pains get worse with each subsequesnt birth, and I'm wondering if any of you "take anything" to help with the pain, or have found anything that lessens the pain?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I had the opposite experience (almost no pains at all the second time). However, in the hospital they told me that having worse pain the second time is common - they offered me prescription Motrin, which I believe does not go through breastmilk (you'd have to check that to make sure, though).

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had very intense after pains with ds (#2) and I used this herbal tincture called After Ease. I thought it worked rather well. I bought it at Gentlemoon.com<br><br>
I also was breastfeeding when I took it, btw.....

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Here's an afterpains story that'll teach ya (read me) to suck it up and take the pain...w/#2, I had horrible, nearly unbearable afterpains so I caved and took tylenol 3 from the hospital b/c I couldn't believe how badly I was hurting. Well, turns out I actually had a tear in my uterus from ds being so low for so long and a fairly good sized dude. The pain meds masked the tear and subsequent infection that developed. I ended up in the ER and was put on antibiotics. If I had never taken the tylenol, I would have recognized the pain to be more than afterpains earlier on and wouldn't have had such a nasty infection! Live and learn. I ended up being fine, but it was bad for a bit. All the discomforts of L&D are just a given. I realize now that it is more important to let my body do its thing rather than bandaid pains. HTH!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I like the AfterEase tincture, too. Simple Crampbark tincture works well, too. The key is to start taking it after birth and keep taking it. It has to build up a bit in your system.<br><br>
Chamomile tea is good, too.<br><br>
Tylenol or ibuprofen works for some women. For other women, I've had my backup doc call in Tylenol 3 because they were so severe.<br><br>
They do start tapering off on day 3, so that's something to remember when you feel like it will never end.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you take the After Ease tincture internally like a tea??<br><br>
I just want to be prepared this time. I will try to not take anything, I mean hey I don't take meds for the labor but last time they were just so painful that I'd like to have something just in case this time!!<br><br>
Are both Tylenol and Ibuprofen (and Tylenol 3) ok to take while nursing??

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
The AfterEase is a tincture, so you take a dropperful every 2-3 hours after birth.<br><br>
The meds are fine to take while nursing, but they can cause some constipation in mama, so it's nice to increase fluids and fiber rich foods.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by pamamidwife</i><br><b>The meds are fine to take while nursing, but they can cause some constipation in mama, so it's nice to increase fluids and fiber rich foods.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
Thank you so much for saying this. I would have, but as a hospital based L&D nurse I'm not sure that my words would hold as much weight.<br><br>
I have had 6 children and my experiece has been this: nothing after #1, backache after #2, after #3 I literally thought I was going to die and could not stand up straight the pain was so intense. Since the pain was keeping me from sleeping/nursing (cramping was so painful during nursing I thought I was going to faint on a few occasions and would have to stop nursing as soon as I would start)/basically functioning - I took the meds. One of the nurses was giving me a hard time about taking it (this was a hospital birth center) and my midwife happend to walk up at that point and saw me doubled over and said "give her the medication now!" and told the nurse she was totally out of line. I have since had 3 babies at home. With #4 I needed the pain medication, the after ease was not doing it at all, but interestingly enough with #5 I found I could manage with just the after ease and motrin occasionally. That routine totally didn't work with #6 and it was back to the Tylenol #3. It made a *huge* difference - it was the difference between a nursing/resting postpartum mommy and a writhing, doubled over lunatic (at least that's what it felt like). I have had 6 kids unmedicated, never even had an IV, but after I deliver I looked at the options and said "give me the meds" if I thought I needed them. Since I had a CPM the past 2 deliveries, I made sure I got a script for Tylenol #3 to have on hand in my 9th month, got the herbs and went with what worked.<br><br>
HTH's!

·
Registered
317 Posts
With my first, I had mild cramping after giving birth. With the second, i'd guess they were stronger, I was breathing through them as I slept, freaking outhte women in the bed beside me. With the third, I was definitely uncomfortable, but opted to breathe through it.<br><br>
I think it depends ont he mama and how traumatic the birth was on her body. But who knows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts