Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br><br>
This is my first post in this subforum. I'm thinking about going back to work. IF I can find something part time that I'm qualified for.<br><br>
DS will be 4 in June and goes to preschool 5 days a week. (He is special needs and goes to public school.) His schedule next fall will be something like 5 hours a day Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and 3 hours on Wed. He'll be out of school for Christmas and spring breaks and summer school is not the whole summer so he's off for part of summer break. I *think* he could go to afterschool care when school is in session (not sure how comfortable I am with this idea at his age), but I don't think that provides any coverage for breaks.<br><br>
I'm thinking my work schedule would be something like 4 hours a day every day. But with commute, I might need some coverage after school every day and would certainly need help on Wed. And I don't know that I would be able to take all of his breaks off.<br><br>
How do you piece together child care? Because DS is special needs it has to be something reasonably consistent and can't be the neighborhood 16 year old, yk?<br><br>
Thanks for sharing your experiences/thoughts!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If money is not an object and you have room in your house - a live-in nanny/household manager would do the trick.<br><br>
If money is tight, but you have room in your house - a live-in au pair.<br><br>
If money is tight, and you have *no* room in your house - relatives, friends, SAHMs who care for children in their homes, a nanny-share, etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I know youmentioned that center based after school care might not be for you, but I did want to tell you that the fee at the center our kids attend includes school vacation days, early dismissals,holidays, etc. Everything except summer vacation.<br><br>
Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I will look into the after school program and see how many preschoolers there are, ratio of caregivers, etc I'm just concerned that they may not be really equipped to deal with supervising a 4 year old in with the bigger kids. But it is certainly worth checking out.<br><br>
A nanny share of some sort might work. I'm not really up for having someone else live in the house.<br><br>
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts