Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't eat sugar, and don't want dd to have it for as long as possible, either. I found this organic kefir (Nancy's brand) that is sweetened with organic agave nectar. It tastes pretty darn sweet. I wonder if anyone knows about this stuff? I'd like for dd to be having yogurt/kefir. I know I can just get plain and put some maple syrup in it, but what about agave nectar...??<br>
tia

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It's harvested from the cactus plant. It's not refined and it has a low glycemic index so it does not effect the blood sugar the way sugar does. I love it.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
It's low glycemic because it's very high in fructose. From what I've learned recently, fructose is very hard on the liver, and results in the excretion of a lot of minerals from the body.<br><br>
OTOH, fructose is the most abundant sugar naturally in our foods, ie.e in fruit. So clearly we're designed to tolerate some of it.<br><br>
So, I wouldn't freak out about it if I were using that kefir as an occasional treat. But I wouldn't start using agave nectar as a replacement for regular sugar in my life. (That is, I've drastically cut down all varieties of sugar, but I wouldn't add back in more agave nectar to replace that sugar I've cut out.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts