Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is turning 2 in November, and, while I have several ideas for gifts to make her for birthday and Christmas, I'm not sure whether she'll get as much enjoyment out of them as she would if I waited a year. I'd love to know whether your kids would have enjoyed these presents as a two year-old:

baby doll
toy kitchen
felt board

Any other suggestions would be welcome! I'm definitely making her cloth-bound photo books (one with her friends and one with family) and one of those horse head on a stick things to ride (except with a zebra head), and I'm contemplating a sandbox for her birthday and a toddler sled for Christmas as well. I really like ideas of things that I can make for her, just because we have a decent inflow of nice used things from garage sales and such and I feel like homemade presents have a bit more meaning for me. I found an awesome wooden doll house with cloth dolls, but I think I'll keep that at Grandma's until next year, as she doesn't show a lot of interest in it yet.

thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
My ds is 21 months and LOVES the toy kitchen at his big brothers preschool, so I would say that is a great idea. The doll depends on your child - my older ds played actively with stuffed animals from around his first birthday, but my younger ds has very little interest. Felt boards might be a little advanced at her age, but then again I don't know her developmental readiness. My ds isn't interested.

My guy is really into putting stuff in places and shutting doors, so maybe a little doll house would be great. Books with flaps are a big pleaser, too.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
If your DD likes to shove stuff in her mouth the way my DS does I would hold off on the felt board.

I've been thinking of making DS some thing with lots of zippers b/c he loves to play with them (this is ok when it's grandma's hoody but not so great when it's daddies fly
. ) I had a doll when I was little with lots of zippers and snaps anb buttons and ties. I haven't seen any in years. I suspect no manufacturer wants to make sure that none of the parts could come off to become chocking hazzards. I you made it yourself though you could just be careful about that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dd will be 2 at the end of November and she has been playing with a baby doll since her first birthday. I think your dd would love a baby! My dd carries the dolls around everywhere and even nurses them! My dd also likes to push her doll around in one of those cheap toy umbrella strollers.

She also loves her toy kitchen and pretends to cook and wash dishes. I think that's also a great gift for a 2 year old.

Other things that my dd enjoys are a rocking horse that she rides, a rocking chair that's her size, wooden puzzles, coloring books and crayons, and books.

I don't know if I'd personally do a sandbox at this age, but that's just me. My dd would put sand in her mouth. Although I did see someone put rice in a sandbox as a non-toxic alternative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.