Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh is talking about number two and I am NOT even thinking like that yet. DS is 15 monthes and still wakes up 6 times a night on average. We still cosleep and nurse, ALOT. He is a VERY demanding child I don't think it would be fair to him to think about number two yet. I think when he is four or five, when he has his own things going and is not SO dependant on me. What age difference worked,/works well for you. Somedays I think, it wouldn't be to bad but then reality hits and the thought terrifies me. I had a dream the other night and I jsut woke up bawling!! In my dream I was pregnant, my husband that I had had a terrifing nightmare, little did he know how much it was to me! THanks for the help mamas!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Mine are 18 months apart. It has been a little hard on ds1 since he is still quite needy. I tandem nurse and cosleep with them both. I know ds1 could use more attention though. I think their closeness in age with make for a lifelong friendship though (at least I hope) and is therefore worth it.

I also need to go back to work at a some point, so this will allow me to stay home with them both until they go to school. I wouldn't be able to stay home for ten years.

You just have to find what works for you.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
mine are 3 yrs apart. which i think is perfect. dd is old enough to really understand things and is quite the helper.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mine are almost exactly two years apart (just two weeks between birthdays). It was a bit challenging at first, because DD still is really a baby herself and needed me so much. But she also adjusted wonderfully to her baby brother...it didn't shake her up in the least. I was fortunate, though...DH could take 3 weeks off work to help out with DD, and my MIL lives just minutes away and helped out a lot.

There are days when it's hard, trying to care for both of them, but really, it's not that bad at all. They are already so close...Elliott's face just lights up when Ainsley comes into the room, and she's always hugging him and saying "I love you". It's so sweet! They already play together a lot, too, and sometimes it's like they have their own language!

I'm not sure if I'd have another with the same age gap. I might stretch it out to 2 1/2 years. But I think 2 years is a nice age spread.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
#1 and #2 are 15 months apart. It was difficult in the beginning with colic, but it would've been hard whether I'd had another child or not. Luckily #1 was pretty easy going. And I'm sure tandem nursing helped.
#2 and #3 will be 30-31 months apart, twice as much as last time! But I actually think it'll be harder because #2 has always had a short temper and gets upset easily. I can only hope #3 will be easier!

I think 2-2.5 years is a good distance apart. Though originally I'd wanted 3-5 years in between #1 and #2, then the next ones closer together, but planning these things never seems to work for us!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
When my second is born, my boys will be less than a year apart. Hard on me, you bet- but things don't always go according to "plan", so prepare for anything. I'm glad they will be so close, they'll almost be like twins! Also, I like the idea of getting all the baby stuff like diapering, etc.... out of the way. I honestly couldn't imagine getting one baby potty trained and then like three or four years later start all over again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dd was 2 1/2 when ds was born, and there were some tough adjustments, but she's doing great now, and adores her little brother.

My siblings and I are close in age, and at times that was tough growing up, but now I'm really thankful for them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
HAHA..Mine are 10 years apart, If I had it to do over again I would have had tham A LOT closer together. DD was pretty much an only child forever and I think it would have been better for both of them if they were closer in age...like having a playmate type of thing.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I say wait until his teeth come in! I felt just like you did, but when DD's molars and eye teeth came in, she started sleeping SOOO much better and I started to really want a 2nd babe.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My 2 are almost 4 years apart. I really didn't think we would have a #2 until my dd was around 2.5 years old. The idea of getting pg before then was terrifying! When she was 2.5 I got pg unplanned, but we weren't trying too hard to prevent it either. I had a m/c then, but it made me really want another baby. I really think if I hadn't had a m/c when I did that dd probably would have ended up an only child. She was going through a nice mellow stage at 2.5, but at 4.5 she is still high needs and needs almost constant attention. Life can be very intersting with a baby that has to have attention and an older child that is getting in to everything and throwing fits if they aren't involved in everything. We hadn't let her be the center of attention prior to ds being born, but his birth brought out even more of the drama queen in her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts