Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how closely those of you with toddlers younger than three adhere to the 3+ warnings on toys. My dd hasn't been interested in putting toys in her mouth for a year or so so we've started getting her some "3+" toys.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't follow the guidelines at all. I base a toy on what I know dd capabilities are and she has some that are even for 7 and up.

I think the guidelines assume the worst case scenario, not a child that is learning normally.

with smiles

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
I don't even look at the age recommendations when buying toys for my own kids. My DS just turned 5 and has been playing with ages 8+ toys and 10+ video games for a couple years now. He was never one to put things in his mouth. My DD, on the other hand, is a mouther. She should probably still be playing with Birth to 3 months toys!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
Just wondering how closely those of you with toddlers younger than three adhere to the 3+ warnings on toys. My dd hasn't been interested in putting toys in her mouth for a year or so so we've started getting her some "3+" toys.
I use those guidelines for mental development. Marah Jade has been good about that for a long time. I pay attention but it isn't a worry for me.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobica View Post
i only follow the guidelines when buying a toy as a gift but for dd, i make a case by case judgement.

Us too

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
DS is still a very oral child, so I do NOT buy choking hazard toys for him, nor do I allow him to play with any.

I know he would have fun with some of them, but I have a horrible fear of him choking. I was an oral kid as well, and at eight years of age I almost choked to death on a marble
:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My son NEVER put a thing in his mouth. We had to force him to even nurse. We never paid attention to the age limit. Then he turned 3 and suddenly was putting everything in his mouth. They say all kids go through all stages eventually right? Well suddenly we had to be very careful. Now my son is 4 and once again we do not look at age requirements, just pay attention to what he can do developmentally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.