Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is almost 2 1/2 and is a very chatty kid. She is a typical bossy toddler at home ("mommy sit there", "daddy stop singing", etc), but has often been a little on the timid side with peers (she won't protest if someone takes a toy from her, though we're trying to help her stand up for herself and let others know she doesn't like that). When she gets really frustrated (I've taken an item that she shouldn't have or has been playing with unsafely), she'll say "I want to hit". We help her name the feelings and also give her options about what she can hit (her drum, a pillow, etc, and it often turns into a game). So far, so good. She's started staying provocative things, probably looking for a reaction ("I want to be selfish", "I want to hit mommy"), though she still doesn't act aggressively and it's always said in a really calm tone. But today threw me for a loop. We were at the playground and she said, "I want someone to hurt me. I want someone to push me down" and "I want to make boys and girls sick". I have no idea where this stuff came from. The last statement is possibly related to much recent fuss about handwashing, not sharing cups and toothbrushes, etc, in an attempt to keep all of us well this winter. I tried to talk to her about what she meant about wanting someone to hurt her but she didn't say anything else and changed the subject. Is this just toddler experimentation that others have seen?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts